ADVERTISEMENT

What's For Lunch?

Psyclone

Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Oakland > Ames > Cedar Rapids
Last week I got halfway to Ames and realized I left my computer and Polar heart rate monitor at home. After debating with myself about how bad I needed it, I opted to return. But now I was on a tighter schedule. With higher gas prices in Ames, I decided to top off my tank. While pumping gas at Kwik Star I'm thinking where can I get something quick to eat as it was noon and I was hungry. I then see a guy coming out of Kwik Star with a burger. Great! That would save me a lot of time.

So I go in and get a double cheeseburger and hit the road. It was quick, warm and very tasty. It wasn't what you would grill at home and the meat probably had a lot of fillers, but it wasn't bad. Something I might try again.

I had mentioned that story before when some on here said the chicken at Kwik Star was good. I like fried chicken (broasted even more) and make a weekly trip to Popeye's. But this is much closer and I'm always looking for good chicken. I don't like KFC as it seems far to greasy. The first bite is okay, but by the end of that second piece my grease overload needle is pegged. So Kwik Star was on my list.

I decided today was the day. I stopped at the neighborhood Kwik Star and got a two piece dark with a side of mac & cheese. I'm not a big mac & cheese guy, but I didn't see any other sides to choose from that go with chicken. You can't eat it there so I head back home. It was quite good. Not as good as Popeye's spicy, but pretty darn good and only about mile away instead of Popeye's five mile drive with many stoplights and more traffic, it might not be the last time I have it. The mac was really good too. And the entire two piece meal with tax cost $5.86. Crazy. That's a half to a third of what it costs at other food places I frequent. Of course I didn't get a drink with that.

I generally like dark meat because white meat is often dry. But this was so moist, I think the white meat is probably really good and I'll probably try it next. It was slightly higher priced than the dark meat, but not by much. The pieces were much larger than what you get at Popeye's. Popeye's tends to have small pieces. I figured the smaller, younger chicks had better flavor. I don't need a lot anyway. As it is, I don't eat much of the skin. Just enough to get the spicy flavor. But with mashed potatoes and a biscuit, it's plenty to eat for me.

Kwik Star gets a B for their chicken on a fast food scale.

Where is your go-to place for lunch, for those that eat out?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News