ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts from Lawrence (football aside)

swancy

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Feb 21, 2002
Made the journey from Des Moines to Lawrence for the game on Saturday. Had been there before, when KU sucked, so obviously a much different experience going to a full stadium.

A few highlights/lowlights:
- Parked at a church off of 9th where we met Rashad, who was helping work the lot. He's a plumber now but said he was an "organic hemp farmer" for 7 years, then added "so basically a drug dealer." He mooched a beer and wanted to give my wife a hug, but settled for a hand shake.
- Walked from 9th St. to lot 61 on the other side of the mountain that is their campus. Good thing I'm in such tip top shape (note sarcasm). A lesser man wouldn't have made it.
- On the walk back down the mountain to the stadium a generous ISU fan, tailgating in a handicapped parking spot along the street, insisted a take a pull of tequila from his bottle. If you are out there, good sir, thank you!
- Why do KU students, especially the coeds, dress like they are a southern school to go to the games? You are as midwest as they come, act like it.
- One of the overdressed young ladies booed me as we walked towards the gate. I said "we'll be friends after the game" so she booed again.
- Upon reaching our seats the KU fans two rows in front of us declared "We are really Hawkeye fans but root for Kansas too!" I said, "well then you've had a bad day already!" Why are they ALWAYS at our road games?!? Ran into a dude in full Hawk gear in Norman last year. Why? At least these guys had KU gear on and had gone there.
- Aforementioned Iowa Jayhawk fan bought at LEAST $125 worth of beer the game, maybe more. I'm sure he had to make several trips to the porta-potties they have IN the stadium.
- After the game, with my mood obviously a little sour, a slightly too chubby to be wearing leather pants young lady booed me from the front yard of a rental house. Tough to be an adult because I had a bunch of good stuff I wanted to tell her. Lucky my conscious (aka my wife) was there to keep me moving along.
- On a positive note, high fived a young KU fan who was with his grandpa and said "I'm happy for you that your team won." His grandpa said thank you. Sportsmanship sucks but it is the right thing to do.

FInal thought: I have been to games at K-State and at OU and both were better experiences than this time at KU. The small amount of success they have had this year is making them insufferable -- almost worse than their basketball fans. Just obnoxious.

Ok, one more thing -- why do they cheer for themselves after the do the Rock Chalk chant? They've been doing the damn thing for 125 years, you would think they could get it right by now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News