ADVERTISEMENT

The Olde Brick House Pub

Lone Clone

Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Went there for a late lunch today. Opened a couple of months ago. It's a small chain -- four of them in Minnesota and now Iowa.

I'm linking a story from the Gazette that gives details and background.

Menu is really interesting and different and the food we had was great -- a term I don't use lightly.

Mrs. LC had two appetizers -- Scotch eggs and steamed mussels. The latter was a pound of perfectly cooked, large mussels in a beer poaching liquid, came with excellent bread. $15.

I had the bangers and mash -- Sausage served on mashed potatoes with creamed cabbage and a side of smashed peas. On the lunch menu (11 a.m. to 3 p.m.) it's $10.99 and on the dinner menu (you get more) $16.

A 20-oz pour of Guinness is $7.

We definitely will be going back. I want to try their fish and chips and their corned beef and cabbage.

My only criticism is a serious nitpick. They have shepherd's pie on the menu, but technically, it's cottage pie. Both are ground meat, vegetables in gravy, topped with mashed potatoes and stuck in the oven until browned. The difference is that shepherd's pie is lamb and cottage pie is beef. As I said, a nitpick.

Reactions: Psyclone
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News