ADVERTISEMENT

Talking to an old friend ...

AlanAldaClone

Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
... and it made me realize how lucky I am that I'm as healthy as I am in my old age. Not that I'm golden in peak health, or anything, but compared to him, I'm Charles Atlas. He retired just last year and since then, his retirement has been spent going to doctor's appointments. He's had cataract surgery on both eyes, had shoulder replacement surgery that he's just now recovering from and has only been able to drive for the past two weeks because of it, he has a wonky ankle that needs replacing but they don't want to do it because he's too heavy, so he has to wear a brace instead, he's had problems with fluid retention, diabetes and high blood pressure, among other things. I have some of those ailments as well, but not to the extent he does. He was farming with all these ailments up until a year ago. Last fall was his last harvest.

I worried about him because he just doesn't have anything to occupy his time anymore. But he just got his first smart phone two weeks ago and had to get wifi in his house for the first time too, because he didn't have a good connection. He's trying to figure out how to use his smart phone at age 70. He had a flip phone previously that he couldn't text on. This guy still only has the TV channels available through an antenna. So I thought he would be bored to death in retirement, but it sounds like he's figuring it out.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News