ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Summer Camp Season 2017 is Upon Us

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
This will be my 15th summer covering Iowa State football camps. Bill will have to post his own tally as I don't know it, but it has to be in the same ballpark. A lot has changed since 2003 when it comes to the summer camp process, but it remains an important recruiting tool.

Iowa State will host its first "Saturday Night Lights" camp of the summer this weekend. Bill is going to be there to cover it in person as I will be out of town. Here are some noteworthy prospects that have indicated they will attend:

Aaron Casey, LB, Douglasville (Ga.) Alexander - 2018 *Iowa State Offer

Casey has a handful of P5 offers (ISU, Indiana, Rutgers, WVU) and a slew of Group of 5 (G5) offers. Getting him to travel all the way up for a camp indicates a lot of mutual interest and this is a guy to watch for a commitment in the coming weeks.

Jack Campbell, LB, Cedar Falls (Iowa) - 2019 *Iowa State Offer

Campbell is a rapidly emerging junior-to-be that has offers from both ISU and Iowa now. He could easily pick up some more offers in June and July as he hits the camp circuit. Presuming he doesn't make an early commitment anywhere, he could be approaching 10 offers by fall.

Logan Klemp, LB, Jewell (Iowa) South Hamilton - 2018

I've seen Klemp play about every sport growing up as South Hamilton is right up the road from me. He'll be hitting camps hard, trying to show Iowa State and other FBS schools that he is athletic enough for that level. Solid FCS prospect at the very least.

JJ McCarthy, QB, LaGrange Park (Ill.) Nazareth Academy - 2021

McCarthy was at Iowa State's satellite camp in the Chicago area a few days ago. Class of 2021 means he'll be a freshman this coming fall - he's never played a high school football game. It's extremely early to be recruiting him, but the Cyclone coaches obviously saw something special in him at the Chicago camp.

John Waggoner, DE, West Des Moines (Iowa) Dowling - 2018 *Iowa State Offer

You know about Waggoner, the now four-star prospect that has blown up to become a national recruit. Iowa State was the first to offer him way back when (last June). The competition? Florida, LSU, Michigan, Ohio State, Oklahoma and many, many others.

Hunter Dunn, QB, Tomball (Tex.) HS - 2020

Don't know a whole lot about Dunn yet, so it will be interesting to see how he performs in Saturday's camp. He had great numbers as a freshman starter at Tomball, throwing for 2,700 yards and 24 touchdowns to just six interceptions. Dunn is friends with Spiller, and the two are riding together to Ames.

Sam Ingoli, WR, West Des Moines (Iowa) Dowling - 2018

I've seen quite a bit of Ingoli on the hardwood as a starting guard for the Maroons, but not really much of him on the gridiron. Ingoli is riding along with his teammate Waggoner to participate in the camp, and we'll see what he brings as a wide receiver. He certainly has good size at 6-foot-4.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News