ADVERTISEMENT

Senior Discount

Psyclone

Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Oakland > Ames > Cedar Rapids
How many of you older folks ask for a senior discount?

I personally never even think of it. Today I went to Popeyes for the first time in months. I got my receipt and when I was eating noticed they gave me a 10% senior discount. That's the first time I ever noticed and never even knew it was available to me. It made me wonder how many other places offer a senior discount.

Speaking of Popeyes, what a not so good experience today. I really like their spicy chicken, but it's not compatible with my low saturated fat diet. I can pull the skin and breading off and it fits in my parameters of limiting daily saturated fat to less than 12 grams, but that's a lot of messy work and the end result just doesn't taste as good. I can even add mashed potatoes and cajun gravy.

Today I ordered a 2 piece spicy combo and a medium drink. They were out of mashed potatoes. How can you do that? So, I opted for just the 2 piece chicken. That is called a 2 piece snack and it comes with a biscuit. I opted out of the biscuit. I also ordered a medium drink.

So I get my "snack" and discover the Diet Coke syrup ran out as I was filling my cup. They were going to get me a Diet Coke from the drive through dispenser but of course it was out also. Since I was eating in, I was willing to wait for them to load syrup. But he tells me they are completely out and the Coke guy doesn't come until tomorrow. Geez. And despite me declining the biscuit, it came with one anyway which would go to waste.

How poor is the management at this place that they can't keep stuff stocked up. It's usually a sign to me they will be going out of business in the near future, whether they know it or not. Or at least a management change. I should have continued on to Burgerfiend as that was my original destination, before I made a spontaneous decision to pull into Popeyes as I was driving by.

Now for those more interested in my menu choices, here's the details of the saturated fat content:
  • Chicken Drumstick, skin and breading removed (1.0 g) - Compare that to 5.0 g if you eat the skin and breading
  • Chicken Breast, skin and breading removed (1.81 g) - Yikes, it's 11.2 g with the skin & breading
  • Mashed potatoes and cajun gravy (2 g) - Not too bad
  • Diet Coke (0 g)
  • Biscuit (6.9 g) - With that much saturated fat it's easy to see why I avoided it
So you can see a normal Spicy Chicken two piece combo with biscuit and mashed potatoes & gravy would be 25.1 grams of saturated fat. Yowser! I can't meet my 12 gram daily goal with that meal. But pulling off the skin and breading and avoiding the biscuit, it is a 4.81 gram meal. And that's with the mashed potatoes and gravy. I didn't get to have that today, so my meal was 2.81 grams. I can go wild for dinner tonight since my breakfast was only 0.61 grams of saturated fat.

More than you wanted to know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News