ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Sat. Announcement for LB Campbell

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

A decision looms later this week for an in-state linebacker who the Cyclones have coveted for several months.

Cedar Falls junior defender Jack Campbell, who has Power-5 offers from Iowa State, Iowa and Minnesota, said he will announce his future intentions on Saturday.

“I’m going to pick my school on the 31st,” said Campbell. “I’m not going to have any visits planned until after then. I’ll probably put my decision up on Twitter and will go down to that school I’m picking and do it face to face. I’m ready for it to be done. In the running will be Iowa State, Iowa and Minnesota.”

As he evaluates his different schools, Campbell says a number of things stand out about the Cyclones as strengths.

“As positives at Iowa State, it’s the new coaching staff,” he said. “They’re building something special, coming off the season they just came off of. It was the most wins they’ve had in a while. That’s pretty impressive, coming in Coach Campbell’s second year.

“I’m also looking at the weight room and how they develop their players. I think Iowa State does a good job on that. Also, how comfortable I am with the coaches like Coach Veidt. Just sitting in his room, he said I could reach my full potential. I’m looking at possible majors. I haven’t picked what I want to major in and will probably go in undeclared.”

The 6-foot-4, 210-pound Campbell has been primarily recruited by a pair of coaches in Ames, saying he’s gotten a great vibe from the pair since the start.

“We talk a lot,” he said. “I talk on a daily basis with Coach (Tyson) Veidt and Coach (Matt) Campbell. We talk about what’s going on at school and stuff. I feel like I’m very comfortable around them. We’ve been talking for a while and I’ve had that same comfort level. It’s a very nice coaching staff and they do a lot for me. It’s always great talking to them.”

The Class of 2019 prospect said he’s excited about the potential I-State’s defense has shown, and how he could fit into the mix.

“They came off a great season,” Campbell said. “The Big 12 is known for a lot of offense. The biggest thing that stood out to me was their bowl game and how they held Memphis to 20-some points under their average.

“Coach Veidt said they’d bring me in as a possibility of playing right away. He sees me being able to play all three linebacker positions, but maybe middle. They’ll just use me where they need me and that’s pretty cool.”

Reactions: Chester90
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News