ADVERTISEMENT

RELEASE: Fannon contract extended

BillSeals

Jul 24, 2001
mobile.twitter.com
Iowa State Media Relations

AMES, Iowa – Iowa State has extended the contract of soccer coach Matt Fannon and his staff according to Director of Athletics Jamie Pollard and Senior Associate Athletics Director / Sports Administration Dr. Calli Sanders.

Fannon’s contract has been extended through Dec. 31, 2026.

“I respect and appreciate the continued commitment that Matt is making to the development of the women in our program, both on and off the playing field,” Pollard said. “He is instilling the same levels of expectation, discipline and accountability towards our student-athletes that all of our head coaches seek. I am excited about the future of our soccer program under Matt’s leadership.”
Fannon just completed his third season with the Cyclones and his first with a full schedule and complete recruiting class (due to COVID-19 challenges), and there has been steady growth in the program.
His first team (2020) had a truncated schedule due to COVID but was highly competitive against the toughest schedule in school history. The 2021 squad ended the year with the school’s longest unbeaten streak (five matches) since 2010. This year’s team was 1-1-1 vs. nationally ranked schools (including a win at #24 Michigan and a tie vs. #23 Texas) and beat Iowa in the Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk Series.
Dr. Sanders, who oversees the day-to-day operations of soccer and 14 other sports, noted a consistent and optimistic view of the program’s future in recent student-athlete feedback reviewed.
“We have a continuous evaluation process for all of our programs, including a robust communications platform for student-athletes to share their experiences,” Sanders said. “In the last three years – including recent feedback from our current student-athletes – there is an overwhelming confidence in the leadership of our soccer program and the trajectory of the team’s future. Developing a winning culture takes time and our coaching staff and student-athletes are united in working towards the competitive results that we desire.”
Prior to Iowa State, Fannon led Bowling Green State to a 41-18-7 record (26-6-1 in the MAC) and was named Mid-American Conference Coach-of-the-Year all three seasons. The Falcons advanced to the NCAA Championships in two of those seasons.
“I am extremely grateful to Jamie and Calli for their unwavering support of our program,” Fannon said. “The journey is seldom easy but having the incredible guidance and support of the administration energizes me, our staff and our student-athletes to continue pursuing championship-level soccer and an enriching experience for our players.”
Fannon and his team are preparing for off-season conditioning. Spring season competition begins in March, 2023.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News