ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting class analysis

SPECTRE

Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
A few thoughts and a breakdown of our recruiting class. First off, I'll say that it's crazy seeing ISU rated that highly and beating multiple P5's for players. The hoks continue to be a thorn in our sides though. We really need to beat them at some point to really turn the tide in-state and the Midwest. Just going by player:

Imming - Played all over the field for SBL. Reminds me a lot of Jake Knott coming out of HS. Hoks wanted him badly and this is a kid that they usually get. He's going to be a good player for us and I could see him playing right away.

Becht - He has some Purdy-like qualities. Smaller, mobile, has a decent arm. You know he has had all the training in the world with his dad being a former NFL player. Really showed out at the Rivals 7 on 7. He's going to have to wait his turn, but I feel like he will be a solid backup at least early on.

Willich - Was injured all this season, but JR film shows an explosive LB. Maybe a little on the smaller side, but he can run. Hopefully he makes a full recovery. I know KSU really wanted him and he seems like a KSU LB.

McLaughlin - Another guy that the hoks really wanted. He has the frame that Imming and Willich don't, but I wonder about speed. Definitely do not question the motor or toughness. He could honestly grow into a DE, but I don't know if that's in the plans or not.

Perkins - He's going to start right away, no question about that. I don't really have a ton of confidence in the staff's evaluation of Punters or Kickers, but they did bring in Mevis, so maybe they've improved. I just don't know a lot from watching highlights because they only show the best punts and not the shanks. Gotta trust Jamie Kohl on this one.

Hasert - Probably a future OG or maybe a RT (although with all of our lefty QBs, maybe it's LT?). Either way, this is an OL that we never get. Beat hok and gophers. I would think if he develops, he's a future pro.

Burkle - Not much to say other than Dylan Soehner clone. The staff has proven that they know what to do with players like this. The 3 TE set gives us a little bit of uniqueness given we struggle to find WRs that can really take the top off. He's going to be 6'7 260 in no time.

Cooper - One of the guys I'm most excited about. He played all over the field including QB. Hard hitter. Just a great athlete. He's going to need to bulk up, but I would bet he's on the field pretty quickly after a RS year.

Keller - Another guy hok wanted badly. This kid is about as close to Kolar as we've signed. Good size, can run, can block. Will need to put on 30 lbs, but he should be playing pretty quickly after he gets that done.

Ezeogu - Raw pass rusher with good length. I think that he will end up being similar to Enyi, but maybe not big enough to flip inside. Great athlete that played TE and BB. He'll need to put on some weight to hold up against the run, but he should get there soon enough.

Deyo - Just a bull. Hok thought he was a lock, but he wasn't. Maybe he ends up on the OL...that's probably up in the air at this point. Either way, he is going to be a force on the LOS.

Essex - He's pretty raw, but he has great size for a WR. Had a ton of teams after him. Can high point the ball. I feel like he could be a Pettway type WR for us.

Gaines - He has everything other than top end speed. Good size, can get open, good after the catch. I feel like he's going to play right away, as there's no one in front of him (outside of Hutchinson returning) that can keep him off the field.

Adams - Speed. Period. This kid can really run, as in one of the fastest players ever at ISU. We'll see how they use him. Could be a PR/KR. Could be a backup at M. Either way, he's a weapon.

Norton - Our new short yardage back. Has a little bit of Montgomery to him. Deceptive speed. Kid runs hard, though. They kind of found him late, but I think that he's going to be a good addition and he compliments our younger backs (Silas and Sanders) really well.

Howard - This is a Safety that the staff wanted from the start. Good size already at 6'2 200. Can hit and cover and played at pretty much the highest level of HS in the country.

Neal - We needed immediate help at OT and got it. Still pretty raw, as he's only played for a few years, but he has good feet and can be physical. I imagine an offseason in the ISU weight room will do him wonders.

Orange - He was a top prospect after his Soph year. Then he supposedly put on some unneeded weight and didn't perform at that level his last two. Still, the talent is there and it's up to Andrews to get it out of him. Sophomore Orange is a player that ends up in the SEC. With Lee, Singleton and Brown ahead of him, he has a few years to work up to his potential.

Hamann - To me, this is a kid that we grabbed because R Mason Thomas was wavering. High motor, physical player that doesn't have the elite athleticism of Thomas or Will McDonald. But, we've won with this type of player before (JD Waggoner). And it always seems like when we play a 1AA team like UNI or SDSU, they have a guy like this that torments us.

Crosby - Clearly a plan B recruit after Noble Thomas decommitted. But, he has good size. I feel like the staff would have never poached him from Toledo if he wasn't a good player.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News