ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Psyclone Status Report

Psyclone

Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Oakland > Ames > Cedar Rapids
Early in 2015 I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Originally diagnosed as bladder cancer, the Mayo Clinic changed it to prostate cancer and for that I am forever grateful. Bladder cancer involved life-changing surgery which I was able to avoid because I took the trip to Mayo. In fact that trip was to have them do the surgery since they don't do that kind of surgery in Cedar Rapids. I am extremely lucky that they don't or I would have never gone to Mayo. The war against my prostate cancer has instead been a series of treatments. Chemo treatments in Cedar Rapids started the week after the Big 12 tournament, followed about 2 to 3 months later by 8 weeks of radiation treatments at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN.

The timing of the treatments was perfect for the Cyclone fan in me because it all took place in the off season and I was back and good-to-go for football season. During radiation treatments I was able to make it to the spring game, tailgate tour and coach's cook off, but missed the trivia event. The only sporting event I couldn't attend was the NCAA tournament last year, and if you are ever going to miss one, that was the one. I listened to the first half of the UAB disaster while getting chemo treatments, and made it home in time to catch most of the second half. I guess because of my situation at the time, the loss didn't hurt near as much as it normally would. Certainly nothing like the loss to Hampton, which I'm only now getting over.

Following treatments I have been going to Mayo for blood tests and CT Scans every three months. I just came back from Mayo yesterday and am happy to report that my PSA is negligible (zero) and that the CT Scans continue to show improvement. That is 4 straight blood tests where my PSA is negligible. I guess that chemo knocked the crap out of it. The only bad news in this whole ordeal is that my cancer is a rare form of prostate cancer that they don't have a lot of data on. That may or may not be an issue long term, but for now I'm feeling great and happy the test results were great.

I was honored recently to be selected as the Iowa State representative for the Coaches for Cancer gala to be held in Des Moines later this spring. I think this is the first year they are selecting a cancer survivor from each of the four state schools.

I know there are many other Cyclone fans and members of this board that have been battling cancer, so I'm not alone in this fight. I cannot recommend the Mayo Clinic enough if you or a loved one is fighting a similar battle. They handle so many cases around the world, there is not much they haven't seen. And the efficiency with which they schedule multiple appointments and run their operation is outstanding. It's also nice getting one bill each month that includes everything. It seems that you get treated for something locally it's a never ending series of bills that you never know when they are going to end or even if they are legit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News