ADVERTISEMENT

My First Hand Experience With In Stadium Beer Sales

jcscooter

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
May 22, 2002
So, yesterday I attended the Iowa/Minnesota game. Yeah, I know, "why would one do that when I could have been watching the Clones in the warm comfort of one's home?" Good question.
It has to do with family obligations and such, but I really don't want to go there.
Any how, I was sitting in fairly good seats 60 rows up on the 25 yard line in a packed section with narrow seats and plenty of fat ass wide bodies populating my row, 90 % of whom had a special taste for beer. Beer was selling there for $8.00 a can. Now, I do not begrudge a gal or guy having a beer from time to time. I partake from time to time myself.

But I sat near the aisle, and I am being totally honest when I say that there was constant, I mean CONSTANT traffic past me as tavern hawk after tavern hawk made beer runs to and from the concessions to the tune of a run every, every 5 to 10 minutes. NO EXAGGERATION HERE!
The game was totally impossible to watch as one was up and down over and over again letting body after body float and stagger by. I would guess that some had 6 to 8 beers by game's end. Do the math. That is $48 to $64 bucks per red nose, and they were, for the most, part red.

I found one fan especially annoying. She was a rather portly lass who loved her beer and bucket of popcorn. And although she never really spilled either on me while screeching "let's go hawks" from time to time, I did not appreciate her deciding to do the Hokie Poky in an especially confined space when the video screen showed an old video of an aged Coach Fry sharing the song and moves with players from the past. She managed to trod upon my tennis shoed feet while attempting to put the right foot in and the right foot out and turn herself around in tune with good 'ole Hayden. She did apologize - sorta.
My point is, I concluded that I AM NOT for beer sales in college football stadiums! Well, not in Iowa City anyhow. I guy could get hurt!
The best part of the whole experience was that I saw very little of an Iowa victory, although I was right there "up and down" in my seat for the entire four quarters. But I guess I really wasn't expected to see the game.

As my lovely fat and drunk new found "hawk friend" to my left taught me: "THAT'S NOT WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT!"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News