ADVERTISEMENT

Minor concerns re: MBB

CloneForever

Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I suppose this is just my long-time Cyclonedom waiting for the sky to fall, but way, way back in the recesses of my mind, I worry about a couple of posts that alluded to things related to Fred.

First, there have been several posts that talk about the rumors - that just won't die - that Fred is actively seeking or is actively being sought by the NBA. Some knucklehead on ESPN (I hope) talked about the Bulls job like it was almost a done deal and said that he really sought the Golden State Job last year and came in second to Steve Kerr for the job. Now, I have not seen anything that substantiates that claim (either that he sought it or came in second), but I can't help but think those rumors hurt him on the recruiting front. And that little birdie keeps whispering to me that Fred could actually put this all to rest by simply stating that he is not in the market for an NBA position - yet he chooses to not do that.

Second, a couple of posts speculated (operative word) that Fred doesn't have that "it" factor when relating to HS players because he is to laid back or whatever. Again nothing to substantiate that, other than his seeming lack of success in recruiting the top-notch HS players, or "whales" as they use to be referred to on this board. Since he can't really change his personality, maybe that is why he is seemingly dependent on assistants for recruiting. Fred, to date, doesn't seem to be an elite closer.

Anyway, those are a couple of minor concerns I have. Love the results so far. Just worried that many are not going to be happy if we plateau at this level and will expect us to rise into the truly elite level. Fred will have to be here for a long while for that to happen, and he doesn't seem to be publicly willing to commit to that. Thus the rumors will stay. You would think those rumors would help him land some whales, but it seems to be working just the opposite.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News