ADVERTISEMENT

Is The Pandemic Over? What's Going On In India?

Psyclone

Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Oakland > Ames > Cedar Rapids
It's beginning to look like we may be putting the pandemic behind us. While it may be too early to declare victory, the vaccines seem to be effective in taming the virus. There was always a concern with the variants, but it appears the vaccines are effective against the more contagious UK variant B.1.1.7, which has been the prevalent strain in the US recently and was largely responsible for the last surge. As a large portion of the US population has had at least one shot and others that may have acquired immunity naturally, it appears cases are starting to fade. Outdoor weather in much of the US probably helps also. Its an encouraging sign. Hopefully people continue to get vaccinated so we can close the chapter on this part of history.

The worst seems to be over in Michigan, but what's happening in India? The country is being hit hard by the virus. At first some thought the latest outbreak to be the B.1.617 variant, but many are now starting to believe it is the B.1.1.7 variant. Few of India's population have been vaccinated. They also removed restrictions on the population maybe a bit too early in this densely populated country. So we may be looking at an isolated situation that isn't a threat to the US as long as it doesn't provide a breeding ground for more dangerous variants.

Early reports of the vaccines effectiveness against the major variants was premature, but things are looking very promising on that front. It is unlikely we are going to eradicate this virus and it's variants anytime soon, which means we may need to periodically get booster shots, but once the rest of the world catches up with the vaccines, it should be less of a threat.

I'm hopeful MLB leads the way with full stadiums before football season gets here. I would like a full Jack Trice stadium and normal tailgating, hopefully by then without masks, although that seems unlikely at this point in time with just 3½ months until our first game. Hopefully those willing to get vaccinated will follow through with those plans so we can get back to normal before fall. Today I am optimistic. But I admit my outlook has volatility that mirrors the stock market.

I've been keeping an eye on India and wanted to know why the virus is blowing up in that country. The following NYT story gives a good summary. Being the NY Times, I read it with some skepticism, but this one didn't push any of my buttons.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News