ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting look at AP top 25 - Big 12 Expansion

CyPack

Freshman
May 19, 2003
Scottsdale, AZ
I was looking over the AP top 25 and when I got to the bottom and looked at the teams receiving votes I noticed something kind of interesting. If the last case scenario were to happen and the Big 12 was forced to expand and went with 12 teams by adding Cincy, BYU, UCF and Houston they would have the second most teams receiving votes in the AP behind the SEC. Those teams obviously don't bring what OU or Texas do to the table but they would bring some value and would probably be better conference partners. What I found by including those four teams with the Big 12 and OU and Texas in the SEC was that the SEC would have 9 teams receiving votes, the Big 12 would have 8, the Big10 would have 7 and the PAC 12 and ACC each would have 6.

I know its just preseason voting but it does show some level of respect teams get by even receiving votes and the expanded BIG 12 would be represented fairly well. Now I'm not advocating this to be option # 1 but if the BIG10 and/or PAC don't expand and extend us an invite I do think there is some value to adding those 4 teams to the BIG 12 as long as P5 status is retained, an auto bid is included and we can get close to what we're receiving now from new media rights.

SECBig 12Big 10Pac 12ACC
AlabamaIowa StateOhio StateOregonClemson
OklahomaCincinnatiWisconsinUSCNotre Dame
GeorgaOklahoma StateIndianaWashingtonNorth Carolina
Texas A&MTCUIowaUtahMiami
FloridaBYUPenn StateArizona StateNorth Carolina State
LSUHoustonMichiganUCLABoston College
TexasUCFNorthwestern
Ole MissWest Virginia
Auburn
9 of 168 of 127 of 146 of 126 of 16

Last edited: