ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING In-Home Visit Helped Seal Deal for Foster

BillSeals

Jul 24, 2001
mobile.twitter.com
by Bill Seals

With four new commitments in just over 24 hours, Iowa State is on a tear in wrapping up its Class of 2016 and the latest addition comes from the highest-ranked recruit yet.

Mundelein (Ill.) Carmel Catholic’s Sean Foster, a four-star recruit that’s ranked third overall in the state of Illinois, chose the Cyclones following a weekend trip to Ames and in-home visit from offensive line coach Tom Manning and assistant Alex Golesh.

“The last 24 hours I’ve had a lot of time to think about what I want in a college experience and what I want in everything,” said Foster, who also had Power-5 offers from the likes of Boston College, California, Duke, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Minnesota, NC State, Purdue, Rutgers, Syracuse and Virginia Tech.

“Iowa State has everything that I want and everything that I’m going to need as I become an adult. They have a great fan base, great school and great up and coming football program. I can’t wait to officially become a Cyclone.”

The 6-foot-8, 285-pound Foster said he called head coach Matt Campbell earlier this evening and said the new leader of the ISU program was excited for the news.

“He was yelling and all fired up,” Foster said. “It was pretty cool to hear that from a coach. I’m very thankful for all the fans and Iowa State community for all that they’ve done for me and my family.”

While Foster had a great time in Ames during his official visit with his dad and other family members, he said it wasn’t until yesterday’s in-home visit with Campbell and Golesh that he became entirely sold on ISU.

“It kind of sealed the deal, because it was one of those things where I wanted the coaches to meet my mom since she wasn’t able to go up this weekend,” Foster said. “That was huge for our whole family and for the coaches to meet my little brother as well. That really sealed the deal for me.

“I was still up in the air and having my mom confirm everything was great. I had a great weekend, my dad likes it, my family likes it and I like it. Why wait around when you can seal the deal right now? I know I wanted to be there and was ready to make the right decision for me.”

As the first four-star recruit in the class, Foster said he’ll be taking on an active role in helping the staff finish the 2016 class on a high note.

“We all talked about how much all these people loved me and wanted me to be a part of the team during my visit,” Foster said. “They want me to lead the recruiting search. At Minnesota, I helped get a lot of recruits up there. My leadership skills will help us get a few more recruits before signing day. It’s going to be a great class.”

Foster had been a Minnesota verbal commitment, but was cut loose from the class shortly after Jerry Kill suddenly retired due to health reasons.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News