ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Illinois D-Lineman Reschedules ISU Visit

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

A three-star defensive end had to cancel a game day visit to Iowa State for this past weekend, but said he’s now planning another for later in the season.

Lena (Ill.) Winslow junior Isaiah Bruce has still seen the Cyclones in action once this season, having attended the Cy-Hawk game in Iowa City on September 8th. He’ll check out Iowa State again for the West Virginia game.

“Things are going really well with the coaches there,” said Bruce. “I talk to them a little bit. I haven’t talked to them face to face or anything, so I’m looking forward to getting there to see what the whole thing is. I like the coaches out there, so it should be a fun trip.”

The 6-foot-1, 241-pound Bruce is a three-star prospect with a 5.5 Rivals rating. He also has an offer from Iowa.

Much of the defender’s communication with the I-State staff to this point has been through messaging.

“As soon as I got the offer, I didn’t hear from Iowa State until September 1st when coaches could start talking to me,” Bruce said. “Then some of the coaches started texting me on Twitter and that’s how I started to know them. They seem pretty cool and nice. They really want me to go out there, see a game and see how the atmosphere is on game days.”

Bruce said he has received some positive feedback from the coaches about his recent play on the field.

“I showed them some of my film and they were pretty impressed with my speed off the ball and quickness, going through defenders,” he said. “I’m from a small town here and we’re a 1A school in Illinois, so nobody really knows where I’m from. I’m not the tallest person, either. I use that as the chip on my shoulder. I use my speed off the ball and go under the tackles on the edge.”

In the short time he’s been recruited by the Cyclones, Bruce said he’s gained a positive impression of the program and its direction.

“They’re working really hard to get where they are,” he said. “They have had a couple tough losses to ranked opponents and stuck close to them. They don’t give up no matter what. That’s what I like about Iowa State.”

When he gets on campus in mid-October, Bruce said he’ll be evaluating a couple of different aspects of the Jack Trice Stadium experience.

“Definitely their weight room and indoor facility, as well as the feel on the field and what it’s like to be up there with the fans,” he said. “I want to see what a good fan base will do on game day.”

In addition to the ISU and Iowa visits, Bruce said he has scheduled a trip to Notre Dame for later this month.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News