ADVERTISEMENT

Homeowners insurance increase

Herdcyclones

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Jul 29, 2006
Just wondering what everyone is seeing in regards to their homeowner insurance renewals and rate increases.
Just got my renewal, and it was up 51% over last year. Yikes. Now they did increase my valuation by 10%, which is fair and explains some of the increase. And I realize building products have increased. And I understand Iowa has had some weather related issues over the past year, but that is every year (though I realize derecho year was worse)

I've heard there have been increases, but that seems really high, considering I've lived in this house for 6 years with no claims. Though over the years, I have seen bumps in about year 3 or so, with my assumption that companies think they can slide that by, after you have been a renewal customer for a couple years.

The company I have is Auto Owners Insurance (they do homes too). Prior to 3 years ago, I had Selective for maybe 8 years or so and was generally happy but my agent recommended Auto Owners. Oh yeah, Auto Owners bumped by auto my 21%.

So anyway, what you seeing out there in the world?

PS, one friend said it was because I lived on the western shore of Little Wall Lake, it was due to increased chances of hurricanes. So that is a possibility.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News