ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING: Post-Official Visit Weekend Rumblings

BillSeals

Jul 24, 2001
mobile.twitter.com
Obviously we are in the midst of running a series of stories from uncommitted and committed recruits over the next couple days. I wanted to pass along a few quick notes of some things I've gathered out of this past weekend.

* I'm anticipating DE Seth Nerness and OL Julian Good-Jones taking additional official visits to other schools over the next couple weeks. It's unclear at this point where those will be, but don't be surprised if they do. As far as any de-commitment risk, that is always there in the final weeks leading up to signing day with anyone. I've heard that Nerness had a great visit to Iowa State and that may end up being the difference in him signing with the Cyclones as he has planned. Even with the threat of other visits, Nerness' experience over the weekend gave ISU a huge boost given all of his attention from other schools. Interesting to note that Nerness is back in the state of Iowa and enrolled in second-semester classes at Central Decatur High School in Leon, where he will run track this spring. The move back to Iowa is HUGE for the Cyclones' recruiting efforts. As far as Good-Jones sits, he also had a great official visit. For those wondering if it's Iowa that could get an official visit...no, it's to somewhere other than Iowa City.

* Expect at least three or four official visitors this coming weekend. Plans are still being finalized by recruit and school, so we won't be releasing anything until later in the week. I'm hearing one running back and a defensive lineman. Again, I should have more later in the week.

* As for the final weekend of recruiting for the Class of 2015, you may have seen the Cyclones are hosting Ankeny Centennial ATH Isaiah Kramme and Waukee OL Erik Nelson. That duo will be part of a large contingent of recruits the staff is targeting for preferred walk-on and walk-on additions. Also expect Humboldt's Brady Ross to be a part of that group. I will add that I'm not expecting any more scholarships to be available for in-state players in 2015, unless we see a massive amount of de-commitments or other unexpected happenings. I know it's not what a lot of you wanted to hear, but the numbers are just not there with a relatively small class.

* With the Carson Epps commitment yesterday, expect ISU to add at least three more additions to its class between now and signing day.

* Some of you had inquired about how RB recruit Joshua Thomas' visit went and I've heard it was a great experience. Thomas' parents were along on the visit and came away impressed with what the coaching staff had to offer. However, Thomas has been long set on taking a Wisconsin official visit and that's still the plan. ISU coaches are traveling to Georgia this week for an in-home visit, with hopes of convincing Thomas to commit prior to his Madison stop. If Thomas does end up committing, ISU would forgo hosting a running back commit this weekend. The plan all along has been to only sign one running back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News