ADVERTISEMENT

Football malaise

AlanAldaClone

Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
This is usually the time of year when my excitement for football ramps up. It's just after the spring game, we've heard reports from camp, coaches talking about progress and players, we've seen a bit of some newcomers, watched short videos on Youtube or twitter, recruiting is going full bore and we're getting some great players looking at the program and even committing that all combine to get you excited for the upcoming season. It happened last year even in what turned out to be a disappointing season. I was all hyped up over our new and improved WR room with two veterans coming back (Hutchinson, Noel) and a newcomer speedster (Stanley) joining them who seemed to be the one missing ingredient who could blow the top off the coverage and make the other two even better. And on top of that, we had an exciting young QB with a big arm throwing to them. The defense promised to be even more stellar than usual.

But I got none of that going for me this year. The reports from camp only depressed me. There were no exciting newcomers to talk about (the only one briefly mentioned was Quaron Adams getting snaps with the ones from the slot in the spring game). Yes, they talked up the O-line, but when haven't they? They always seem to turn out pretty pedestrian, no matter how much they hype them. I never saw any great plays in videos, the spring game was a disappointment in that it wasn't really a "game" and there were no real highlight reel plays, no flashy new (or old) RB moments. Pedestrian is the word that comes to mind again.

Recruiting has been a disappointment to me thus far. It seems that with a few exceptions, the quality of players looking at the program and committing is down this year. I am excited about the RB from Oklahoma, but does anyone really think he's going to choose us over OU?

I'm usually the ultimate optimist when it comes to our football prospects. But not this year. I think the defense will be OK, but not as good as last year, but I don't anticipate any improvement at all in the offense after we lost our best weapon. I think we'll have a tough time equaling last year's dismal record. I don't know, talk me out of it. Why should I be optimistic?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News