ADVERTISEMENT

Cyclone shirt at class reunion

AlanAldaClone

Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
One of my former classmates in high school was wearing an Iowa State shirt at our 50th class reunion, which was refreshing, because most everyone I know there, with a few exceptions, are raging SQUAWK fans, including my best friend in high school. But at least he has a reason: His cousin was a starting OL for Iowa in the 80s (Tim Hanna, I think was his name) and he used to get free tickets to games back then.

Anyway, back to the Iowa State fan, who had no clue about what's been going on in the Big 12 the past week. He was all excited about the upcoming football season and said "we're going to be good," when I had to rain on his parade with the fact that this could be the last season of the Big 12's existence. He had not heard a thing about OU and Texas leaving for the SEC.

There was at least one other Cyclone classmate there, a woman who actually went to Iowa State and was there when I was there. She actually attends games every once in a while. Unfortunately, the two other classmates I had a beer with in one of the two bars in Titonka after the reunion were both SQUAWK fans, and one even had Herky as her phone background, even though she said she rooted for the Cyclones when they weren't playing Iowa. The other one was not quite so fanatic about it, but said she was always a SQUAWK fan, which made me sad, because earlier in the night, she had come up to me and said I was always one of her favorite people in high school because I was so creative, smart and funny and always such a good writer. It made me feel so good, I jokingly asked her if she wanted to come home with me to keep lavishing praise on me. She was a stone cold fox in high school, but the SQUAWK thing was a deal breaker and I told her she couldn't come home with me after all.

As a side note, I noted Titonka, a town of about 450, has two bars, which is true, but has no gas station. It used to have four gas stations when I was in school. Now, if you want gas, the elevator there has a pump where you can fill up if you have a debit or credit card, but there is no building associated with it. It's just a couple of stand-alone pumps beside the elevator. I found that sad.

I posted this on this board because of the Cyclone angle, but if you want to move it, feel free.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News