ADVERTISEMENT

Concerned

CloneForever

Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Not particularly about the OU game. As a long time fan I certainly have seen it before and Our youth is leaving us susceptible to this type of game.

My concern is the NIL impact on CFB and ISU in particular. I have seen a lot of ISU football over the years with memories starting in the 50's. I remember my dad talking about games and reading as a young lady in the Register about Bill Weeks and Jim Doran, following Doran's career with the Lions. I remember when Jim Myers got us over .500 when I was 12. I saw games of the Dirty 30 and the equally successful 1960 team.

Over those years we have struggled to compete with facilities, commitment, and finances. Generally, it is a story of us falling behind, pushing to get to average, then falling back again.

The recent changes and the potential of CyTown is the first time I felt we had a chance to hang with the trends. What Jamie has accomplished is a freaking minor miracle. Then NIL changed the dynamic and, presto, we are behind the 8-ball once again. Pay-to-Play is something we cannot compete with. We cannot buy an experienced offensive line. We cannot buy linebackers. We cannot buy a rush end.

And my real fear is we will not be able to keep the young talent that is so evident but will be a prime target for programs that CAN afford it. And that breaks my heart. It destroys College football at its core. And losing OU and UT doesn't solve the issue.

The Texas schools all have money for NIL. PRIME is coming, buying what he needs. BYU and UU will always be older than everyone and have money. Kansas has money, if they decide to spend it on football. UCF comes from the "if you aren't cheating, you aren't trying" part of the country. KState has all the money they need for football, seemingly. It is not going to get easier. Once again, we get level and the money changes the paradigm.

How can we become truly viable in the NIL world? The dollars it will take is so far beyond what our current capability is. But, worse, for me anyway. It is just killing my interest in college sports. 🙃 and if too many are like me, the golden goose may be slain. What a loss that would be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News