ADVERTISEMENT

Blown Engine (Long) -- Updated 06/09/21

Top Clone

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Aug 12, 2008
Long-story shorter... I am headed over to Hot Springs, AR from JAX, FL last weekend. Taking a 6' x 12' Uhaul loaded with household items I am adding to estate sale that I pray I get to happen and soon. Anyway I take off Saturday and make to to Jackson, MS (not quite 800 miles). Nice leisurely tow with cruising about 67 the entire way. No issues. Take off the next morning. Again leisurely cruise. Only issue is my mileage (trip to date) is about 30% lower.

So I hit Dumas, AR ( about 135 miles from Hot Springs) and the motor starts running pretty rough. Small town but I spot an O'Reillys parts store that's open. They read the codes for me (flashing check engine light on). Codes read mis-fires on three cylinders and a vacuum leak. I ask if I can make it to Pine Bluff which is they next town of size. Consensus (employees and customers gathered round at this point [including some professed to be "mechanics" by locals :)]) is should be able to but expect suckey mileage. Short distance north of Dumas it's not any better. Sounds like hammers pounding in the engine. Then the temp on the tranny starts rising. Get's up to 235 degrees and I pull over & shut down.

Don't know if you've ever been there, but not much between Dumas and Pine Bluff. Only one bar on the cell and surfing is not working. Fortunately I am able to text friends in HS who google tow truck operations for me and send #. So I get towed to Ford dealership in Pine Bluff. They get it in for me first thing and their diagnosis .. NEW ENGINE.

Well, I am floored. Truck is a 2017 F-150 with the 3.5L Ecoboost, 116K miles. Most significant issue I've had with it is having the "throttle body" replaced a few months ago. I've always kept the oil/fluids changed (even more frequently than their recommended intervals). They said I had three "dead cylinders". I think they said no compression in the only one they tested. They showed me a plug which came out of one of the dead cylinders and it was totally burnt. Oily wet too. Their asst mgr service guy said he thought it looked like the cylinder had been burning raw fuel for some time. However, said they'd have to tear engine down to learn everything.

So my truck now sits awaiting the installation of a new engine (hopefully arrived yesterday). I flew back Thursday. Not looking for woe is me, but I would appreciate insights on mechanical issues related to symptoms I described. Also, interweb search indicates this engine has a failure rate at approx .1% which to me indicates its' pretty reliable. So did I just win the lemon lottery? Would really like to know I am not getting ripped off with new engine. Really don't want to think that and I'm kind ashamed to even mention it.

Best part of story to date... My friends on HS are an elderly couple who go to "our" church over there. Well they came the next day with their van with a 2" ball on the receiver so they could tow the trailer back to HS. Then they gave me use of their vehicle while I was back. There are still great people on this earth! What a Blessing! They also took me to the airport.

Pearls of wisdom welcome. Happy to provide any additional information I can. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Cylebrate
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News