ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL ***2023 NFL DRAFT & UDFA SIGNING THREAD***

BillSeals

Jul 24, 2001
mobile.twitter.com
Let's try to keep all of the draft chatter over the next three days within this one thread. The first round begins this evening, followed by the second and third rounds on Friday evening, then the fourth through seventh on Saturday.

Obviously, DE Will McDonald is pegged to be the highest-drafted Cyclone. It's going to be fun to watch another Cyclone get drafted that I started covering as a high school prospect back in 2017. He went on to become one of the greatest players in school history. Now he has a legit opportunity to become the first Iowa State player to be drafted in the first round since the Houston Oilers selected George Amundsen with the 14th overall pick in 1973.

On day-of (first round) mock drafts, here's a sampling of the different ones out there. Some are links to premium sites, so you'll need to have subscriptions to access those in more detail.

ESPN's Mel Kiper - First Round (27th overall) to Buffalo
ESPN's Todd McShay - First Round (31st overall) to Kansas City
Yahoo Sports' Charles McDonald - Not a first-rounder
The Athletic's Dane Brugler - Not a first-rounder
CBS Sports' Jonathan Jones - First Round (30th overall) to Philadelphia
PFF (Pro Football Focus) - First Round (30th overall) to Philadelphia

Here's a piece from Iowa State's pro day I published on McDonald last month.

Other Cyclones with solid chances to be drafted are WR Xavier Hutchinson (I'm guessing in the 3-5 round range) and DB Anthony Johnson (perhaps in the 6-7 round range). Some potential UDFA signings we'll see released following the draft on Saturday include: MJ Anderson, O'Rien Vance, Colby Reeder, and Trevor Downing.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News