ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Volk Ready for I-State Junior Day Visit

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

A pair of Iowa State coaches paid a visit to a top 2020 in-state recruit earlier this week and was able to finalize the prospect’s plans for a Saturday trip to Ames.

Cedar Rapids Xavier offensive lineman Josh Volk has had a Cyclone offer for several months and has emerged as a priority for the coaching staff, as evidenced by head coach Matt Campbell and assistant Tyson Veidt making the trek east on Tuesday.

“It was Coach Campbell and Coach Veidt in to see me and Ethan Hurkett,” said Volk. “We talked to them a little bit and then they talk to my coach for a while. They’ve said I’m a high priority recruit for them in the 2020 class. I’ll be going to the basketball game (tomorrow) and then a few coaches will be talking to us before. I think we’re also going to have lunch planned for us.”

Volk, who also has an offer from Iowa, is a three-star recruit with a 5.6 Rivals rating. He is considered the state’s third-ranked overall prospect in the 2020 class and the 25th offensive guard nationally.

The 6-foot-4, 297-pound Volk said he likes the message he continues to hear from the leader of the Cyclone program.

“Coach Campbell talks a lot about their student-athletes buying into the process and you can see they have the past three years,” he said. “It’s turning out pretty well for them. I also think the offensive line is improving a lot and I think Coach (Jeff) Myers is doing an excellent job.”

A member of one of the state’s perennial Class 3A powers, Volk was dealt a setback in late-November when he suffered a torn ACL and small meniscus tear in the semifinal round of the playoffs. He had surgery on November 21st and has been working his way back ever since.

Volk said much of his mindset has been on getting healthy, versus anything in the world of recruiting. But at the same time, he’s also starting to ponder a decision on his future school.

“Right now, I’m just kind of focused on rehabbing my leg,” he said. “Iowa and Iowa State are the two offers right now. I wouldn’t say I have any specific time (to make a commitment), but maybe sometime soon. It might be in the next couple months.”

As far as the condition of his knee, Volk said the progress has been steady.

“It’s coming along great,” he said. “I’ve been on an elliptical machine and biking, too. I’m in stages building it back up. I want to start running in the next month or two. They said it would be a six-to-nine-month rehab, so that would put me back between May and August.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.