ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Visit Strengthens Wilson's ISU Lean

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

A weekend visit to Ames solidified the Cyclones’ standing with one of the top prospects in the state of Missouri for the 2020 class.

Kansas City Park Hill’s Johnny Wilson said he enjoyed a busy two days at Iowa State, which included getting to watch a pair of spring practices.

“When I got up there on Friday, I went to a practice and then we had a photo shoot and ate dinner,” said Wilson. “I sat down with Isaiah Lee and hung out in his dorm room. The next morning, I ate breakfast and met with a few academic advisors. I toured the facilities. I talked to Coach (Eli) Rasheed and Coach (Matt) Campbell a lot. I went to a practice and then talked to those two again. I left after that.”

The 6-foot-3, 250-pound Wilson said he learned a lot about life as a student-athlete at ISU, as well as how the coaching staff has treated others who have gone through the recruiting process.

“I asked him what made the difference between Iowa State and all the other colleges he had to choose from and he said Coach Rasheed and Coach Campbell were really honest and not telling him he would be playing right away. They said he had to earn a spot, while others were kind of faking. He said those two are really good coaches.”

A long conversation with a trio of I-State coaches helped cap off Wilson’s trip, as members of the staff shared how he could be an impact recruit in next year’s class.

“(On Saturday) it was me, Coach Rasheed, Coach Campbell and Coach (Natt) Scheelhaase,” Wilson said. “I had a good talk with them. I really love that all of those guys care about me and want me to be a part of their program. If I go there, they’re going to mold me into a good football player and man. They said people with characteristics like me are what make up the Iowa State football program, so that’s why they love me so much.”

Given that the Cyclones are losing veteran defensive end JaQuan Bailey, who will graduate and likely be headed to an NFL team in next April’s draft, the staff has made it a point to let Wilson know how the two compare.

“They’re recruiting me at his position and think I’d do really good at that spot,” Wilson said. “We’re just about the same size. I’m not as fast as him, but I’m pretty fast for my size. We both have good pass rush skills and can play the run.”

In addition to ISU, Wilson has Power-5 offers from Arkansas, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri and Nebraska. He is a three-star recruit with a 5.6 Rivals rating and is considered the 12th overall junior in Missouri and 33rd strongside defensive end nationally.

Wilson said the Cyclones have done several things to stick out amongst that pack of schools, including how the staff handled his visit weekend.

“This definitely makes them the number one school on my list, but they have been for a while,” he said. “I just have to make sure I make the right choice and not rush into anything too quickly. I have a good relationship with the coaches and feel like family when I go up there. I can definitely see myself playing in the defense they run. It’s not too far from home, either. I know they’ll take me under their wing if I go there.”

Wilson said he would like to make a commitment prior to his senior season and anticipates signing in December.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.