ADVERTISEMENT

Trying out old recipe again

AlanAldaClone

Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I made a pan of chipotle tamale pie yesterday and it's exceptional. I was first introduced to this dish at a company potluck when one of the single guys brought it. I thought it was so good, yet really spicy because he makes it a lot spicier than I do, that I asked him for the recipe. I thought I'd share the recipe with you folks. Careful, it's spicy, but you can make it less so by eliminating the jalapeños, but it will still have a kick to it because of the chipotles. The guy from work also added cayenne pepper or red chili flakes to his (I forget which), but that made it too spicy for me.

Chipotle Tamale Pie

1 medium onion, chopped
1 pound hamburger
1 can pinto beans, drained
1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 small can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Cut peppers into smaller pieces
1 small can jalapeños or you can use fresh jalapeños, but I'm lazy
1 cup shredded cheese
1 cornbread mix

Sauté onion in frying pan, add hamburger to brown, add other ingredients, withholding the cheese. Also add a couple of tbsp of the adobo sauce to the skillet. Cook thoroughly. Transfer contents of skillet into a square cornbread pan. (I'm not exactly sure how big that pan is, but it looks like a small cake pan only it's square, not rectangular.) Add the cheese and mix it in. Make the cornbread mix according to directions on package and pour over the top of the mixture. Bake in oven according to the directions on the cornbread package (about 20 minutes at 425 degrees)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.