ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Texas WR Set for Iowa State Visit

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

A Lone Star State wide receiver in the 2019 class is planning an Iowa State visit in the near future after receiving an offer from the program over the spring.

Wylie rising senior Donovan Ollie said his contact with the Cyclones originally began on social media and picked up soon after a coach was in town to watch him work out.

“They followed me on Twitter and I followed them back,” said Ollie. “They came out to see a practice and I talked to Coach (Alex) Golesh a couple minutes before practice. He was a really nice dude and said he’d heard a lot about me. He stayed for the entire practice, which was about two or two and a half hours. We talked on the phone after, he said he and the coaching staff like the way I played and he offered me.”

The 6-foot-3, 195-pound Ollie said he was told he’d be a perfect fit in an I-State system that has scouted taller receivers in recent years.

“He liked that I’m a big receiver that likes to go get the ball and can run,” Ollie said. “The previous receiver that they had, Allen Lazard, they said I play a lot like him. I’d be a good fit for their offense. I was excited to get the offer and jumping up and down.”

Since securing what is now his third Power-5 offer, Ollie said the Cyclones have crept up his list thanks in large part to the communication aspect.

“I love the offense and the coaching staff,” he said. “The coaches have been great to talk to and are down to earth. I’ve seen some football videos and practice pictures – it looks great up there and gave me the chills. I also like that they’ll play in my home state a couple times each season, so all of my family can see me play.”

Ollie will get to see that first-hand later this week when he’s on campus for the first time.

“I’ll be coming up there for an unofficial visit the weekend of June 9th and will probably be back during the football season,” he said. “I want to see the facilities, campus and everything Iowa State has to offer. I’m fired up about Iowa State and can’t wait to be up there. I can’t wait to see what the future holds.”

In addition to the one he received from ISU, Ollie also has P5 offers from Boston College and Northwestern. Several other G5s, including Arkansas State, Louisiana-Lafayette, Louisiana-Monroe, New Mexico State, North Texas, Texas State and Tulsa, have also offered.

The Texan said he’s nearing a cutdown to a smaller list of schools that he’ll consider.

“I’m coming out with my top-six schools on June 20th and Iowa State is definitely in there,” Ollie said. “I really like that they run an offense that’s for players like me… a big receiver who can go up and jump for the ball, run for it and make plays after the catch. It’s an offense tailor-made for me.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News