ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Soph OL Wisecarver Talks ISU Offer

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

On the same day he offered a pair of running backs at a St. Louis high school, Iowa State assistant coach D.K. McDonald also extended one to one of the program’s road graders up front that’s help paved the way for rushing success.

DeSmet Jesuit sophomore offensive lineman Brody Wisecarver added a second Power-5 offer from the Cyclones, as did tailbacks Rico Barfield and Taj Butts. For Wisecarver, it was a blessing and something he didn’t anticipate.

“Iowa State was never truly involved with me until I got my offer,” said Wisecarver. “They stopped by last year and said hello, but I didn’t really every hear from them until I got my offer. When I got my offer, it was out of the blue. I was at lunch and my coach pulled me aside and had me talk to (McDonald). He told me that he wants me to come out for a visit, because they’re going to give me a scholarship.”

The 6-foot-5, 300-pound Wisecarver said his second P5 offer (he already had one from Kentucky) will only make him prepare harder over the spring and summer.

“It was cool to receive another one, but it was more like you’ve had your 15 minutes of fame so get back to work because you want more,” he said. “Coach McDonald said he likes the way I play and knows I can get better. He wants me to keep working hard throughout the offseason and show them what I can do next season and the season after.”

With two solid backs running behind him the next two seasons, Wisecarver said he knows where he needs to show the most progress.

“One of my best areas was my pass blocking,” he said. “I can definitely improve on it, but it was probably my best asset. I want to improve on my run blocking and not only blocking the guy I’m supposed to block but get up to the second level and then start blocking downfield to help my running back.”

In addition to the I-State and Kentucky offers, Wisecarver said he heard from Notre Dame and Oklahoma State during the recent in-school contact period.

The Class of 2021 prospect said he’s eyeing at least two unofficial visits for next year.

“This summer is when I’m going to start going out to places,” Wisecarver said. “I’m going to Iowa State early in the summer. Oklahoma State also wants me to come out for a camp.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News