ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Soph OL Volk Updates on I-State Offer

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

After hosting an in-state offensive lineman for a game-day visit last fall and watching the prospect shine during his initial season competing on the varsity level, Iowa State decided to extend an offer during a visit late last year.

Cedar Rapids Xavier sophomore Josh Volk’s offer from the Cyclones was his first of the process. He’s also garnered interest from Iowa, UNI, Michigan State, Stanford and Wisconsin.

The 6-foot-4, 285-pound Volk said the I-State staff had been familiar with him for some time.

“From what I know, my freshman year Iowa State had come in and said they’d love to see me down at their camp,” said Volk. “But then I messed up my shoulder and couldn’t make it down to camp.

“I went through my sophomore season, and after the state championship game in November, they came to my school and said they’d like me to come over for a visit. We went down there when they were practicing for their bowl game, and Derek Hoodjer came over and got me. He took me out to the field and Coach (Matt) Campbell offered me a scholarship. It was pretty exciting.”

Volk said he enjoyed his brief meeting with Campbell, and catching up with Hoodjer, as they prepared the team for the Liberty Bowl.

“They said they loved me finishing the blocks on my film, as well as just how I move for being so big,” he said. “Iowa State is a great program. I went to their game against Oklahoma State. I think they’ve got a great staff and great facilities. The game day environment was pretty exciting.”

ISU invited Volk to one other event which he wasn’t able to attend, but the offensive lineman said he is targeting a return to Ames in the near future.

“Coach Campbell invited me to the Oklahoma basketball game, but I couldn’t make it because I had confirmation,” he said. “I’d love to get back out there over the spring if they’d give me the opportunity.”

Volk said Campbell also visited his high school.

It was a breakout first season on the varsity squad for Volk, who said he finished strong and is already working towards the 2018 campaign.

“Starting off my sophomore season, I was a little slow,” he said. “I was coming off a shoulder subluxation, so my shoulder popped out and popped back in. I had to take it slow for the first week of practice.

“That first two or three weeks we had pads on, I really grew up. I was coming from the freshman level and then going straight to varsity my sophomore year. It was so much more competitive. I still need to get bigger, faster and stronger for the upcoming season.”

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.