ADVERTISEMENT

Running backs and linebackers

Bear Clone

Legend
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2003
Linebackers.
1. Brezina has more explosiveness to him than some of the other backers not named Bacon. He was around the ball all day yesterday and had 3 or 4 very good plays including the batted pass.

2. Ebel does some good things but he had a couple of really bad plays yesterday. One of Iowas long runs he was unblocked right in the gap the back ran through and just kind of fell down for no reason. He did that on another crucial run. Looks uncomfortable at the point of attack sometimes. He did look better off the edge collisioning the end while keeping leverage.

3. Ellis had a pretty good game. Wrapped up well and was aggressive at the point of attack.

Running backs.

1. Sama's stats weren't great but I was really encouraged by his play. He showed some aggressive running I wasn't sure he had in him. He was physical and that early run of his was special even if it only went for 7 yards. He has some unorthodox agility that not many people have. When he got clocked at the goal line he probably broke 3 tackles before that.

2. Hansen
I know the staff like Hansen and I can see why. He plays hard and is a tough kid. He just isn't a regular down back. He didn't have a good game. Fumbled. He also fell down on a play that should have gone for more but when he bumped into the back if his lineman he fell down. He can't run stretch plays. He isn't that guy. The stretch he did run should have gotten at least 3 yards. He just doesn't have the ability to make that hard cut while running east and west.

3. Jackson played great. One of his runs he completely set up by pausing in the hole to let his pulling linemen get to the block. His run near the goal line was also very good. He should have stayed instead of Hansen on that late series. It cost us.

4. The freshman still needs carries as the season goes on. We need 3 backs with fast cut ability ready to play.

Final comment. I like Hansen but I think his true future is at linebacker. I was hoping he could be someone like the Arizona state back. If you haven't seen him...you need to watch. Guy breaks tackles left and right while running really physically. I know Hansen is young. Maybe he will be come that but the lack of balance on some plays makes me skeptical.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.