ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Strange Weather Phenomenon

Psyclone

Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Oakland > Ames > Cedar Rapids
On the drive over from Cedar Rapids to Ames I observed some of the strangest temperature changes I've ever seen. Granted I've only had a temperature readout in my car for maybe 10 or 15 years. Anyway, this afternoon in Cedar Rapids I was outside with a light jacket. The temps were in the mid to high 20's.

I left on the trip to Ames around 5:00 pm. Well on the way I noticed the temperature to be in single digits. It surprised me it was that cold. About halfway there I notice the temps had dropped below zero. I continued to watch as the temperature fluctuated wildly. It got as low as -11° which was accompanied by fog. Less than a mile later the fog is gone and the temperature ticks up a degree at a time, with each increment taking only about 10 seconds or so. It got back to -3° in a fairly short period of time. If not for the fog I would have assumed there was something wrong with my temperature sensor.

As I continued my trip I ran into more fog and the temperature again dropped and recovered after coming out of the fog. This happened maybe one more time with the temperature changing each time.

I got distracted when I was forced to detour on to I35 north as they are lifting another beam into place on the flyover. Hwy 30 was closed in that area. By the time I got to the E 13th street exit and was on my way toward North/South Dakota Ave, I noticed the temperature was +4 degrees. Right now at the condo my thermometer reads +6.4 degrees.

I have never seen such a rapid temperature change down and then back in such a short area. And to have it happen more than once was weird. Do any of you meteorologists or anyone that has stayed at a Holiday Inn Express have an explanation for that phenomenon? I could understand if it was a cold front or a change in elevation, but the stripes of cold were different.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.