ADVERTISEMENT

OT: My experience today in the time of cholera

AlanAldaClone

Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I ventured out today for the first time in a little over 2 weeks because I needed to pick up some prescriptions at the pharmacy. That wouldn't have been so bad (it's a drive thru), but I also needed a new phone because mine had pooped out. So Walmart, here I come.

While at the pharmacy, I checked to see if they had any masks, but they've been out forever and don't seem to be able to get any more. My daughter told me she had some because her place of employment hands them one every day, so she has extras. I make the 12-mile trip to her house and pick up two and head back the other way for Walmart.

I feel kind of silly wearing a mask, especially when I see only a scattering of people in the parking lot wearing them. I also have gloves on. Let's face it. There have been only 9 confirmed reports of Covid19 in my whole county, which is a destination county because people from neighboring counties commute here, and there are three hospitals here, so we would probably have more reports than most counties. But at only 9 cases, the likelihood of me running into anyone who has been in contact with it is pretty remote at this point.

But here is Walmart (one of three Walmart superstores here, not to mention the three or four Neighborhood markets and a Sam's Club) with controlled access at the front door. They will only let so many people in at a time. And the people controlling the access aren't wearing masks. They have about five people manning the front door I used, three on the outside and two inside. I see whole families go in the store with nothing covering their faces.

I thought it was all just a little bit silly. Some people so concerned they have controlled access to the place, but the ones controlling the access are unconcerned because they have no masks and customers wearing no masks, but then some so wrapped up that it could be your own kinfolk behind all that stuff and you'd never know it. Bizarro world.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.