ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Let's talk Twins

AlanAldaClone

Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
The Twins have been extremely active (for the Twins) in the free agent market this year. But from the looks of it, they plan on outslugging everyone again this year and pitching be damned. Sure, they signed two new starters, but two of their rotation guys can't play until halfway through the season, one because of a suspension and one because of rehab from an injury. So that leaves three guys in the rotation and one of those is Homer freaking Bailey. I can pitch as well as Homer freaking Bailey. Maybe the Twins pitching coach can work the same magic he did with Martin Perez to start last season. That magic seemed to wear off or Perez forgot what he was taught as the season wore on, however.

They may try Brusdar Graterol as a starter again, but I read something that said to do that they'd have to stretch him out again in triple A. So then you're looking at Devin Smeltzer and Randy Dobnak and Lewis Thorpe or maybe one of the youngsters as rotation options to start the season. Thorpe has been underwhelming, Smeltzer has had his moments, and Dobnak has too, but teams started to catch onto him late last year and his ERA started to balloon.

I was very happy with the Donaldson signing, even though I think they paid too much for an aging veteran, but it should make them better defensively. The offense will be a push, I think, because they also lost the production of Schoop and Cron, who had 48 homers between them. They added a good arm in the bullpen in Tyler Clippard and resigned Sergio Romo, so they should be set there.

It should be an interesting year. I just hope the pitching holds up long enough until Rich Hill and Michael Pineda can join the rotation.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.