ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Offer & Visit for Omaha Soph WR

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

Iowa State offered a Nebraska prep wide receiver in the 2020 class over the winter and had the opportunity to host the prospect on an unofficial visit earlier this month.

Omaha Burke sophomore Xavier Watts said the Cyclone staff welcomed him with open arms during the spring practice trip.

“I really liked the campus and football facility,” said Watts. “I like all the coaches, they were all really nice and made me feel like they were interested in me. Someone always kept me busy and was talking to me. I liked all the drills that the coaches had the players doing. I think I could fit into their offense. They give the ball to the playmakers and I think I can be a playmaker. I enjoyed my visit there and really like Iowa State.”

The 6-foot-1, 170-pound Watts said he spent some quality time with position coach Bryan Gasser and had a conversation with head coach Matt Campbell.

“I talked to (Gasser) the most,” Watts said. “He told me he really liked my film and I’m really good at wide receiver. He’s very impressed with how I’m doing at such a young age. Coach Campbell said about the same things.”

ISU would return the favor by visiting Watts and other Burke players earlier this week during the spring evaluation period.

“On Monday, Coach (Jon) Heacock and another coach came up and watched me in the morning during wide receiver drills,” Watts said. “They talked to my coaches for a little bit and liked what they saw.”

It was Heacock who originally kick-started Watts’ recruitment over the winter, shortly after the prospect’s sophomore season had wrapped up. The courtship would ultimately lead to an offer in late January.

“They started taking a look at me a while back,” Watts said. “Coach Heacock came to my school and the first time I just talked to him a little bit. Then I met Coach Campbell. They said they were interested in me and wanted me to come up to see the campus. A couple weeks later, Coach Heacock came back, gave me his card and told me to call him. Later that night, I called him and that’s when they offered me.

“I was really excited to get the offer, because I remember last year they beat a lot of big teams. I heard that Coach Campbell is a really good coach and his program is going to do very well in the future.”

The coaches think Watts could potentially play a big role in the offense starting in 2020.

“They said I’m very talented for my age and am very strong, plus I’m very good at wide receiver,” Watts said. “I think they like that I can play on the outside and run deep routes, go by the corners and safeties. I get all the jump balls and can outrun defenders.”

Watts shares those sentiments and pointed out one player in particular that caught his eye in Ames.

“I think they just give the playmakers the ball,” he said. “If they trust the players, they’ll give it to them. If you can make plays, you’re going to get the ball no matter what. Allen Lazard was a pretty good player. I watched his film and really like him.”

In addition to ISU, Watts also has offers from Purdue and South Dakota State. He’s getting interest from Iowa and Nebraska.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.