ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Matt Campbell OSU Post-Game

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
Transcribed by Bill Seals

Opening comments:

“In a simple way, the attitude, effort and investment of our kids I am proud of. My disappointment comes in the fact that we did not really play Iowa State football today. We defensively gave up big plays. Offensively, obviously the turnovers and success on third down are great challenges for us to be the best team we possible can be; and the inconsistencies a little bit on special teams. I think it is really hard to beat anybody, especially a really good football team that way. Again, I kind of put that on ourselves. Some of that is coaching, some of those are opportunities we have to put our guys in better positions to be successful. We will own it, we will grow from it.”

On what Oklahoma State did defensively to have success:

“Statistically, I don’t think there was a whole lot. They did a good job being multiple defensively and mixing up a lot of different things and gave a lot of different looks, and I think from our end we had a pretty good beat that’s what was going to happen. Getting the consistency in the passing game never really good hold. We’ll have to go through and look at the video and, obviously, we’ll grow from it.”

On what happened on the three big plays allowed by the defense:

“A couple of them are missed tackle opportunities. On two of them, for sure. The third-and-one one was a communication error. Those are things we have to own as coaches. Some of those are coach-driven. That’s from all of us as coaches. We can evaluate some of this film today and say we need to continue to do a great job of helping our guys be as successful as possible. Obviously, give those guys credit, they’ve got some really talented players with the ability to make you pay if you’re not perfect.”

On the status of safety Greg Eisworth coming out of the game:

“I think Greg will be in good shape. Where he’s been banged up, I don’t think this will be a long deal. It was more of a precautionary situation than anything at the end of it.”

On if he thought Brock Purdy would have needed to throw 62 passes in the game:

“Gosh, I never go into any football game thinking that I want to throw 60 passes. It was a situation how it played out. The last two possessions certainly upped that number a little bit. It’s hard for us to be the best version of ourselves if we’re going to be that unbalanced at times. I’ll probably have a better answer for that question after I watch the video. It is a lot of passes.”

On defense’s performance during second half and how interception could have been key moment:

“I thought that one interception was huge and were plus-one for most of the game until late in the fourth quarter. If we win the football game, maybe you say that was the difference in the game. I really don’t think there was a lack of pressure in that situation. We were able to affect the quarterback at times when we needed to. We settled down the second half and played really good defense and gave ourselves a chance to win the game.”

On how disappointed he was that the team had plenty of chances to pull ahead in the fourth:

“I wouldn’t say I’m really happy about it. I don’t mean to be a smart-aleck about it. The reality is I love these kids. We kept playing all the way until the end. We gave ourselves multiple opportunities to win the game and we didn’t do it. That’s frustrating, but the frustration more syncs on myself and our coaching staff of how can we do a better job of putting our kids in position to be successful.”

On his thoughts about Oklahoma and Texas also losing today in the Big 12:

“It’s a wild time. The fact of the matter of it is, one thing it says about our conference is it’s from top to bottom. You’d better come ready to play our best football. If you don’t, it’s really hard to win games in this conference. It continues to show. It will be a crazy November. We’ll see if we can continue to pound away at the Cyclones and see if we can be the best version of ourselves.”

On his thoughts on the team heading into the month of November:

“Regardless of what the outcome was today, number one, you’re getting into the heat of the battle of ‘you want to play your best football in November’. We’ve been itching towards getting better week in and week out. I think we’ve been inching towards getting better week in and week out. I still don’t feel like we took a huge step back today. There were still a lot of positives. We know there’s a brand of football that’s successful, that when we play it it’s when we play at our best. It’s continuing to pound away at how we get there. We’re going to have to do a great job of taking care of ourselves. Then our kids, we’re going to have to decide where we’re going to go and what’s going to happen in November. What a great challenge and opportunity for the Cyclones.”

On his thoughts about Brock Purdy’s performance after throwing three interceptions late:

“I love him, care about him and wouldn’t want to have any other quarterback in the country than that guy. We’ll grow from it. We will. Part of it, how can I put you in a better situation. Some of those were tough situations at the end of the football game. How do I help you? We wouldn’t even be where we’re at right now if it weren’t for Brock Purdy.”

On how Breece Hall performed against the Cowboys:

“I thought it was a really good performance by him. He caught the ball well out of the backfield. The hard runs, he made them when he needed to the most. He’ll have to continue to grow for us to continue to be the best us we can be. I’m not dissatisfied with anything I’ve seen from Breece. Another great challenge…what kind of back do you want to be in November? I think we’ll find out where he’s going. I’m really proud of his growth again today.”

On if there was anything specific in OSU’s defense that led to Purdy’s interceptions:

“I’d have to go back and really watch it. That’s quarterback piece of it that we’ll have to get evaluated. I put the onus back on, could we have put him in a better situation to be successful. I always start with myself and our offense, then we’ll see if there’s anything fundamentally that Brock did. If I know Brock Purdy, he’s a pretty special kid. At the end of it, I’ll own it. Those are on me just as much as anyone else.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News