ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Matt Campbell Iowa Week Presser Q & A - Part 1

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
transcribed by Bill Seals

Opening comments:

“From our end, those are one of those circumstances that are just different. Having had the ability to go through that once before…certainly it was a different situation. I do think there were some positives that we take from Saturday. Getting the opportunity to prepare for a game. Getting the game started. Some of those young guys at least getting some snaps and getting out in front of our fanbase and crowd. There were some positives we were able to take from it. Our kids came back Sunday and Monday with really good intent and purpose, and we move forward. We have a great challenge on the road this week against a very veteran and good football team.”

On what particular areas of the team were impacted most by not playing:

“I don’t know. As a player and a coach, you just want to play. I think that our entire team in a lot of ways, getting out there, getting to play the game of football, getting to play under the lights, have successes and failures and working through that, that’s probably affected the team in general. That’s something that we’ll have to get this week.

“Some of the positives…it was great for a guy like Mike Rose who hasn’t got to play in a college football game to get out there and get a taste of that and that environment and energy. He had a series to do that. It was great to see Tarique Milton catch a punt. It was good for (Josh) Mueller to get out there and play a little bit.

“But, what did you miss? You miss playing and getting the opportunity to make adjustments and some of those things all teams want to do. That’s what builds all teams and ultimately that’s how you’re judged as a football team at the end of the year.”

On facing a stout Iowa defensive line:

“I think it’s a great challenge. You’re talking about a veteran football team and that veteran-ness lays right there on that defensive front. I couldn’t be more impressed. You go through the last two to three years of this football team…when they needed to make a play and good things have had to happen, that defensive line has spearheaded things. You’re getting maybe one of the best defensive lines in the country. They play hard, are consistent and are going to play as hard as they can for as long as they can. There’s a lot of guys that have played a lot of football. They have good depth on that defensive line and rotate a lot of guys in.”

On what fans saw early of Deshaunte Jones and what he’s done to position himself for break out:

“I thought Deshaunte had a really good January through the time that we came back for fall camp. If you would ask Deshaunte, he would tell you a lot about his physical growth. He’s stronger and faster than he’s ever been. We worked through that from his freshman year to sophomore year of gaining weight but was it the right weight and how do we improve your speed. I think we hit a home run with it. He did a great job of managing that. His diet was probably the biggest thing we attacked in the offseason and I think that had a big effect on him being the fastest and strongest I’ve seen. He looks like a different football player today than what he did even last year. I don’t think that was a discredit to his work ethic, it was just a matter of diet, strength and conditioning all coming together as one. He looks like a true third-year football player in our program. I think he’s ready to have a great football season.”

On what he’d say to fans that hold tight to the line of players being suspended for an actual game:

“I think that would be naïve to think that it’s just a game. The reality of those situations and all situations are different. You’re talking about what happens to young men that have been suspended, there’s a lot of other things that go into it than the game aspect. Those are so minimal. It’s when you don’t get to practice with the first team for the last month or you’re on the scout team for the last three weeks. Maybe you’ve had to get up in front of your teammates and apologize and maybe earn your way back on the team. Some of those guys have had to do that. Those are the teachable moments. Obviously, when your teammates run out for a game on Saturday and you’re in the stands, that’s pretty tough. That was an unfortunate on Saturday that we didn’t get to play an entire game, but the ball was kicked off and there were meaningful reps played. Some of those guys, the lead up of two to three weeks where they’re not even getting to engage in game-like activities is hard.”

On last year’s Iowa game being coming-out part for Marcel Spears and what he’s done since then:

“Certainly, he had a good game in his entirety. The biggest thing for Marcel and some of these other guys who had some successes and grew as football players, it’s the opportunity to have those and learn and grow from them. It was the first year ever getting meaningful reps at linebacker for Marcel. He’s a really smart football player. Having the opportunity to put those pluses and minuses together in the offseason, how do I perfect my craft? Marcel has changed his body and looks bigger and faster than he’s ever been. He’s on a mission to become the best version of himself he can be. We’ll certainly need him as we continue to move ourselves forward on the defensive side of the football.”

On how Iowa quarterback Nate Stanley likes to utilize tight end position in passing game:

“Number one, you’re talking about a veteran quarterback like Nate is…if you take those tight ends away he’s good enough and has good enough weapons around him to make you play. The tight end position is outstanding and it’s fun to watch the growth those guys have made in their program. They’re playing really good football for them right now and certainly did down the stretch run for them a year ago.

“Again, it’s like going against any real talented quarterback, you have to multiple and have the ability to do multiple things. If you think you’re just going to do one thing, they’re going to beat you. I think we’ll have the ability to be multiple and how it will impact them in terms of defensive football and situational football.”

Reactions: CyRail
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News