ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Louisiana DB Emerges as Legit 2019 Target

BillSeals

Jul 24, 2001
mobile.twitter.com
By Bill Seals

Several Power-5 conference programs have offered a Louisiana prep prospect during their recruitment of the 2019 class, but it appears that three schools have emerged as the leaders to get him in the February signing period.

Hammond senior defensive back Tyrone Lewis said the Cyclones are one of the schools that came in late and stand to get a visit from him later this month.

“They offered me late and wanted me to take my official,” said Lewis. “I didn’t sign on the first signing day, because I wanted to take my official visit and see what they have to offer. I’ll be going out the weekend of the 18th through the 20th. I was going to visit Kansas State, Iowa State and Oregon (this month).”

The 6-foot-0, 190-pound Lewis, a three-star prospect with a 5.5 Rivals rating and the 33rd overall prospect in Louisiana for 2019, has at certain stages of his recruitment had P5 offers from the likes of Arkansas, Florida, ISU, Kansas, Kansas State, Kentucky, Ole Miss, Missouri, Tennessee, Texas A&M and Utah.

Lewis may have signed in the initial signing period and was primed to take an official visit to Kansas State in November, but had it canceled after head coach Bill Snyder announced his retirement. Now the Wildcats have re-emerged, as well as ISU and Oregon.

“Oregon just came in recently and have been hitting me up,” Lewis said. “They’re trying to get everything set up after they sit down as a staff. If everything goes right with the whole staff, they’re going to bring me in.”

As for the Cyclones’ interest, Lewis said he became a target in November when defensive coordinator and safeties coach Jon Heacock reached out.

“He originally got in touch with me and said he wanted to send it to the staff so they could watch me,” Lewis said. “They all agreed, so he offered me. He said he likes I’m an aggressive player. He asked me if I want to play corner or safety, which one I prefer, and I said strong safety. But on the other hand, it doesn’t really matter to me so long as I get playing time. They run a defense that I really like and play three safeties.”

Lewis said he’s looking forward to seeing Ames for himself in order to get a more-informed opinion of the place.

“I really don’t know too much about the school, but when I take my official visit, I’ll have a little bit more information,” he said. “I like that I’m being recruited by the defensive coordinator and my position coach. I think I can play early if I come out there and ball. There are other defensive backs there, so I’ll have to compete for my spot.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.