ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING KC Def. Lineman Reflects on ISU Visit

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

Recruiting some defensive linemen in the 2020 class will be a priority for Iowa State and one of its top prospects in the Midwest was on hand last Saturday for what was supposed to be the season opener.

Kansas City (Mo.) Park Hill junior Johnny Wilson took another trip to Ames and said he enjoyed the opportunity to catch up with one of his favorite recruiters.

“It was a good day,” said Wilson. “We got there and saw all the coaches and talked to them. They were guys that I’ve known for a while. I talked to Eli Rasheed…that’s my dude. We ate and then went to the game, but it got canceled due to the rain. There’s not much I can say about that. It looked like they were about to put a beatdown on them.”

The 6-foot-3, 250-pound Wilson is a three-star prospect with a 5.5 Rivals rating. He also has offers from Arkansas and Missouri. ISU has also offered and is recruiting Wilson’s Park Hill teammate Javion Gathrite, an athlete in the 2020 class.

ISU is hoping Wilson can potentially fill an important hole in the defensive line starting in 2020.

“(Rasheed) just said that if I go there, I need to be ready to play right away,” Wilson said. “He said he has five or six defensive linemen graduating next year. He’s going to have like five defensive linemen out of my class he’s trying to get committed there.

“He likes how much I’ve improved since last year. He can already tell in the two games I’ve played this year. He likes my drive, motor and will to win.”

This wasn’t the first visit to Ames for Wilson, who said he’s been on campus multiple times since the Cyclones began recruiting him. Although the season opener against South Dakota State was canceled on Saturday, Wilson said he’s really starting to get comfortable with ISU.

“I’ve grown to like it,” he said. “I like everything they do, I like what they’re about, I like the coaches, I like the atmosphere, I like the facilities, I like everything.”

For now, the Kansas City prospect said he’s taking his recruiting process in stride.

“I’m just trying to go on more visits, see what other schools have to offer and see what I like about different places,” Wilson said. “I want to get some more offers. Iowa State is definitely up there and shows a lot of love. They’re like my top one or two right now.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.