ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING JUCO DL Books Iowa State Official Visit

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

Anticipating the impact of losing both Ray Lima and Jamahl Johnson to graduation after the 2019 season, Iowa State appears set to sign one JUCO defensive tackle to replenish the pipeline.

The Cyclones are zeroing in on Hutchinson (Kan.) JUCO standout Latrell Bankston, offering the big man earlier this month and scheduling an official visit for September.

“It was during the spring that Coach (Alex) Golesh came to a practice and saw me work out,” said Bankston, who will take his trip to Ames the weekend of September 22nd when the team faces Louisiana-Monroe. “Then, it was a couple weeks later, he came down to my school and watched my film. He and I started talking from there. A couple months went by and he texted me saying I was still on their board and a prospect. (Earlier this month) he texted me and said they were offering. It really came off of my spring tape.

“At first, he told me they weren’t going to take any more interior defensive tackles because of the players they had. But then he said they were going to offer me and that I was the only junior college d-tackle they want and have offered. I think I’m probably a really big piece to what they want to build around after the two seniors leave after this season.”

At 6-foot-1 and 295 pounds, the sophomore certainly fits the description of interior linemen the Cyclones have sought during Matt Campbell’s tenure as head coach and the move to a three-man front.

Bankston said he would likely be employed in a similar manner if he inks with I-State as a December graduate.

“I’m going to be moved around a lot and they’re going to use me in a lot of different situations,” Bankston said. “I’ll be the main pass rusher from the nose guard position. They said I have a good football IQ, my hands are really good, I’m strong and really fast off the ball, and I’m really active on the defensive side. Being at the nose guard position, I can be really disruptive against other teams in the Big 12.”

The Hutchinson product also has already visited campus, doing so last week when his team practiced in the Bergstrom Indoor Facility in preparation for its season opener Thursday night at Ellsworth.

Since picking up the offer, Bankston said he’s started to learn a little more about the defense.

“I’ve read some articles and watched videos of the defense, and they have a top-10 or top-15 defensive line going into this season,” he said. “Knowing that Iowa State is rebuilding and is in the top-25 (in the rankings) this year, the offer means a lot to me.

“I also have a really good relationship with (Coach Golesh) from earlier this year. It’s great they are still thinking about me and were for a while before offering. They are willing to take a chance with me and pull another guy’s redshirt just for me to come up there and play for them.”

In addition to his ISU offer, Bankston has Power-5 ones from Arizona, Louisville and Oregon State. Boise State is also making a push as a G5 program and will get an official visit from him during November.

Reactions: Chester90
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.