ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING ISU Offer Special for Georgia LB

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

Iowa State inked one Georgia linebacker in this season’s crop of newcomers and is now involved with another one of similar stature inside the state’s borders in the 2020 class.

After bringing on board Tucker standout Gerry Vaughn for 2018, the Cyclones are in on Fayetteville rising junior Tyson Meiguez. Tucker and Fayetteville are both Atlanta suburbs.

The 6-foot-2, 210-pound Meiguez said ISU has recruited his school well in recent years and has also offered his rising senior teammate Taj Dodson. He said it was an emotional time when he received his offer from area recruiter Bryan Gasser.

“At school one day, my coach called me to come down to his office and I talked to the coach,” said Meiguez. “Later that day at practice, the coach told me he wanted me to call him so I called after school. We talked about the other offers I had, how school was going and how my recruitment was going. Then I got the offer.

“I’m excited whenever I get an offer, but the Iowa State one was special. I was more excited to get that one than the rest of them. Iowa State started recruiting me early in my freshman year, so it was exciting to finally get it.”

The standout defender also has Power-5 offers from Pittsburgh and Syracuse, to go along with solid ones in the G5 ranks like Cincinnati, East Carolina, USF, UAB and Western Kentucky.

He said the Cyclones coveted a number of facets of his game.

“(Gasser) liked my size, how I moved around, my length as a linebacker, how young I am and how much time I still have to get bigger,” Meiguez said. “He said the coaching staff likes me as an outside linebacker, strong safety, nickel or dime type of player. They like my versatility.”

Meiguez said he likes the way he’d be utilized if he joined the Cyclones in a few years.

“I like the way they use their linebackers,” he said. “They move around a lot. I came from being a defensive end, so when I moved to linebacker I thought it was a lot better because I like to move around and make more plays.”

Gasser has also made a solid early impression, says Meiguez.

“He’s a really chill dude and I really like him,” Meiguez said. “I can have conversations with him without football being the main topic.”

Meiguez said he is considering an unofficial visit to Ames during the summer but is unsure yet on a date.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.