ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING ISU is First Offer for QB Edwards

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

A first-year Iowa State assistant coach liked what he saw in an Illinois prep athlete at his past stop, so it only made sense that he continued the pursuit in Ames. The end result was the Cyclones offering the 2020 recruit.

Granite City sophomore quarterback Freddy Edwards said he picked up his first offer of the recruiting process earlier this spring and was happy to report that’s from the Cyclones.

“Nate Scheelhaase, since he was at Illinois, he has been interested in me,” said Edwards. “He had tried to get the Illinois coaches to offer me and get to know me more. He made the transition over to Iowa State and showed them my film. The coaching staff and head coach liked it. He called my head coach and said they wanted to offer me. I’m very excited and happy that I got my first offer from Iowa State.”

The 5-foot-11, 175-pound Edwards has gotten interest from several Power-5 programs including Clemson, Iowa, Miami (Fla.), Missouri and Notre Dame.

The fact that Scheelhaase was the first to believe in him was big for the recruit.

“He’s a great guy,” Edwards said. “As far as what my head coach has told me, he loves my film, is interested in me and wants to get to know me over my next few years of high school. Hopefully I’m able to talk to him soon, get to know him and continue this relationship I have. He also wants to build a trust in the player-coach relationship from here on out.”

Edwards said he plans to do that on June 2nd, when he heads to ISU for the first time to visit and take part in a camp. He also hopes to showcase his skills as a passer.

“They love my dual-threat ability as a quarterback,” he said. “I can throw the ball and run the ball – they love that. They love that I’m coachable and have bought into the process.”

During the visit, the quarterback also would like to learn more about an offense that he’s been impressed with when watching on TV.

“I’ve looked at their past games, like the ones against Oklahoma and TCU,” he said. “The fast tempo game that we play here in high school, it’s similar to ours. I’d like to have that same atmosphere in college. I like the fast tempo and the run-pass option that they have. When I look at colleges, I’m looking at the relationship with the coaches and if the offense suits me.”

Edwards had his sophomore season ended prematurely due to a separated shoulder and torn labrum he suffered in the third game. As a freshman playing on varsity, he rushed for 1,100 yards and 19 touchdowns from the quarterback position while also throwing for just under 500 yards and four scores.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.