ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING ISU in the Lead for 3-Star D End

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

One of the top prep recruits in the state of Mississippi for the Class of 2017 currently says he has the Cyclones on top.

Iowa State has paid plenty of attention to Clarksdale junior defensive end Cordarrius Bailey this spring, sending a pair of coaches in for evaluations. The 6-foot-3, 207-pound defender has certainly taken note.

“Iowa State is pretty much at the top, because of the support and love they’ve shown me,” said Bailey, a three-star recruit who also has Power-5 offers from Louisville and Mississippi State.

“I’ve talked to Iowa State coaches this spring and we’ve had good conversation. They came down here for one of my spring practices and to my school. I really appreciate that. It’s a blessing that Iowa State is recruiting me and I really like their coaching staff. They want me to come up there over the summer. I’ve got to look into that with my parents.”

Position coach Eli Rasheed has acted as the primary recruiter for Bailey, and shared how much of a fit he’d be for the defense in Ames.

“Coach (Eli) Rasheed was one of the coaches down here this spring and he’s made a great impression on me,” Bailey said. “I really appreciate him coming down here to see me. They really like how I have a nose for the ball, how quick I am out of the box and how much I love to play the game of football. They see me as a defensive end that can maybe move to linebacker and rush the passer.”

Bailey, who is the sixth-ranked player overall in the state and 25th weakside defensive end nationally in the Class of 2017, has done his share of research on the Cyclone program and likes what he sees.

“I really like the Business program on the academic side, as well as the football program and coaching staff in general,” he said. “They play in a great conference. The coaches have showed me a lot of love and support.”

Also helping ISU’s cause in its recruitment of Bailey is Clarksdale alum and current starting middle linebacker Jordan Harris.

“He went to my practices and has talked to me a lot,” Bailey said. “He says it’s a great school and everybody around the program shows a lot of love and support. He says it’s great to be a Cyclone. It means a lot to hear that from someone who came out of Clarksdale.”

The rising senior said he plans on making a decision this fall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News