ADVERTISEMENT

ISU Alumni presentation

bumblebee

Legend
Jun 29, 2001
a post from the other board. interesting stuff from somebody who was there

Today, 10:03 PM by Cycsk

I went to the ISU Alumni presentation last week by Ben Bruns about the south endzone construction project. Let's just say it was pretty awesome to listen to him tell stories and answer questions for an hour.

Here are some of my notes (not sure I got all the technical terms correct, so blame me, not him for any mistakes below):

- The "eyelid" above south entrance was the key to the design. I'm not sure why, but Ben was pretty emphatic about this point. He also said that from the field, the ends of the "eyelid" fill in the gaps between the videoboard and the new upper decks.
- The new videoboard should be turned on within two weeks.
- When Jamie Pollard announced the project last year on the tailgate tour, they didn't have a construction plan that could be done less than 6 weeks after the season would start.
- They use "phased bids" because they couldn't get it done on time with "fixed bids.
- Saved four weeks with a staff engineer drawing 3D images for subcontractors (all of whom have iPads with access to the 3D images).
- Used "Primavera" scheduling software.
- Have 15 minute stand up meetings each day with subcontractors.
- Most projects are 50% efficient. This one is 80-90% efficient.
- They wanted the get access to the hillsides as soon as possible, but Pollard wouldn't give them up until after Homecoming because that game is so important for the fans.
- They are using a drone to oversee all aspects of the project.
- Concession extensions are done.
- There are 330 "piers" that are driven 50 feet underground.
- The new upper decks are more rigid so they doesn't need to sway like the old upper decks.
- The field is 30 feet below grade in a flood plain.
- The "hot tub" behind the endzone is for new pumps for field drainage. They just switched to the new pumps last week.
- This is why there is a swamp in-between lots south of the stadium. There may be a pond in the final configuration.
- The old pump housing will be cut down more for the lower corner to cover, even though it is already low enough to be covered.
- The old bleachers and videoboard were put up for sale, but were not purchased, so they were added to the demolition project.
- The new sound system will help reduce the "loud" and "dead" spots because it will reduce the space between speakers and the "bounce."
- Includes a new bay for high end TV to use.
- The lower level of the Sukup lounge will have 20 foot ceilings. This is what made it possible for the demolition equipment, hauling trucks, and construction cranes to come in and out.
- Should have a dramatic effect on the wind and may impact selection of the end for OT.
- He confirmed CPR's observation that the recruiting class for the year after Jacobsen was built ended up with 27 seniors and the Insight.com bowl.
- He compared our new weight room to other institutions whose weight rooms are bigger, but much less efficient because they waste time going from machine to machine.
- A new press box is desired, but it is a more complex project than most people think because of everything at the base of the current press box.
- The Sukup Endzone Club lounge will have its own kitchen so food won't have to be brought in by truck like now. They may have a trial run event during the week before the first game.
- Last (and best in my opinion) is the rationale for the bleacher colors. On the sideline, the sections are symmetrical, so alternating colors looks good. In the corners, the sections aren't symmetrical, not even the upper deck middle sections that look rectangular but really aren't, so alternating colors would look odd. So, they kept the whole upper corners cardinal, but will have a small section of the lower corners near the Sukup Endzone Club section that will be gold . . . like the shoulders of our uniforms!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News