ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Iowa State Involved with Cane Transfer

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

Iowa State is making a big first impression on a graduate transfer wide receiver in a number of ways, from its NFL Draft-bound junior getting in touch to members of Cyclone Nation reaching out to him on social media.

Former Miami pass catcher Lawrence Cager indicated he will look to play elsewhere during his senior season and says ISU has as good a chance as anybody at landing him.

“They want me and there’s mutual interest, especially when I saw what they’ve done with Hakeem (Butler) and Allen Lazard the last couple years,” said Cager. “I’ve been talking to Hakeem and he says it’s a good program and to just look at what they’ve done with wide receivers in recent years.

“Also, the fanbase has been following me on Twitter. The fan interaction has really caught my eye. Before word even got out. It’s surprising.”

Cager is coming off a season in which he was second on the team with 21 receptions, while finishing with 374 yards and a Hurricane-high six touchdowns. During his four years in Coral Gables – Cager redshirted in 2016 after tearing an ACL in training camp – he recorded 681 yards and 10 touchdowns. He started 18 career games.

Although the I-State coaching staff is set to make a more formal presentation to him during an in-home visit tomorrow, the 6-foot-5, 200-pound Cager said he already has an idea of what could await him if he chooses to head to Ames.

“I’ve talked to probably every single coach on the roster,” he said “Their pitch really is to just look at what they’ve done with Allen and Hakeem, so why not come here and play for a great head coach in Matt Campbell? Coach Campbell and the staff are coming to my house, so I think we’ll get more in-depth on that.”

Cager played on the outside during much of his time in Miami, but believes he’s a versatile player that can line up just about anywhere.

“I’m the whole package,” he said. “I know I’m a big receiver and have been used more at Miami as a big receiver, but I’m fast and can run. If I do end up at Iowa State, I feel like I can show my talents there as a complete receiver.”

In addition to ISU, Cager said he has mutual interest in other Power-5 schools such as Oregon, Maryland, Nebraska, Ole Miss, Georgia and Kentucky.

Out of his mix, he said Ames is likely one of places he will travel to in the coming month.

“The plan is to visit Iowa State, but I’m still working out with my family what days would be good for them,” he said. “I want my family to come, so I’m going through all my options with them on where we’re going.”

Cager said he plans to announce a decision in April and graduate from Miami the following month, before enrolling at his next stop.

A former four-star high school standout in the Baltimore (Md.) suburb of Towson, Cager said he is friends with ISU’s graduating senior defensive back D’Andre Payne.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News