ADVERTISEMENT

I hate to be THAT guy

AlanAldaClone

Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
But the better team did not win this football game. I usually blast people that say that, because, usually, all you have to do is look at the scoreboard to determine who was the better team. But there are several reasons to say that in this case.

First, look at the stats. Over 500 yards total offense for us compare to what, 327 for them? For a team that averages 468?

Second, some of those calls against us were really, really bad. I'm not even talking about the targeting calls. I think both of those were legit. By the letter of the rule, they were rightly called targeting. I think we could have been called for another targeting, on the Peavy hit on the sidelines. He clearly head-butted the receiver as he was going out of bounds.

I'm talking more about the uncalled false start on the touchdown throw and the crappy incompletion ruling against Eaton. He CLEARLY made the catch, made a football move (he took two complete steps after the catch) and only lost the ball when he hit the ground (ground cannot cause a fumble). Greg McIlroy clearly does not understand the pass reception rule because he was saying he has to complete the catch to the ground. No, not if you make a football move, which he clearly did. That was a huge play in the game, forcing us to punt and losing us our last timeout, which we could have used at the end of the game.

I'm not one to complain about the refs usually either. I think that's what losers do. But these guys were really bad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News