ADVERTISEMENT

Highway 30 Four Lane Nearing Completion

Psyclone

Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Oakland > Ames > Cedar Rapids
There are only five miles left to complete the four lanes of US 30 from Cedar Rapids to Ames. Three of those four lanes have been paved and rebar is installed in the remaining two. The paver is operating and should have the rest of it paved shortly. They will still need to work on the shoulder and intersections, but the end is near.

What a difference this highway is from the one I took to my Cedar Rapids job after graduating. And the one I took to football games for years. That old highway was mostly 2 lanes and passed through Tama, Toledo, LeGrand and Marshalltown.

I'm a little hazy on the road west of Marshalltown at that time except that it was two lane at least to Colo. Somewhere in that vicinity it was four lanes to Ames if memory serves. I'm speaking of the late 80's and that section of four lane was relatively new.

At any rate I would venture a guess that it will be complete by football season. For me I have also benefitted by the Highway 100 extension which provided four lanes to within about a mile of my house. I exit at Edgewood Road by Fleet Farm and am not far from home via Edgewood and Blairs Ferry Road. That extension saves me a lot of time as I no longer have to take Edgewood through town from Hiawatha to the south side of town before picking up 30. Often I'd take an alternate route through Palo and out near Atkins to get to 30. Less traffic and fewer stops, but didn't save much time depending on time of day. Those days are history. I'm out of town and headed toward Ames on US30 maybe 10 minutes or so after leaving home.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.