ADVERTISEMENT

Heartland sports mauls Dennis Dodds on realignment

MesaClone

Legend
Gold Member
Aug 20, 2002
https://www.heartlandcollegesports....and-cool-about-an-iowa-state-cincinnati-game/

Excerpts:

I guess Dennis forgot about the fact that both Iowa State and Cincinnati have two of the best young coaches in all of college football with Matt Campbell and Luke Fickell. And when is the last time Dennis went to Ames, Iowa for a game? Jack Trice has had renovations over the years and has the third largest stadium capacity in the current Big 12 with over 61,000. The Pac-12 currently has just two schools not named USC or UCLA that have a stadium that can hold over 60,000 fans. Even Cincinnati has a bigger football stadium than Oregon State and Washington State as a Group of Five school.

I also find it interesting that he used Iowa State and Cincinnati as an example of the Big 12 not being hip, young, or cool. Since 2017, Iowa State has the second-most conference wins in the Big 12 (29) outside of Oklahoma. Meanwhile Cincinnati is fresh off a playoff appearance as a Group of Five school. As I mentioned earlier, both programs have young head coaches that almost any school would be willing to hire.

In all honesty, I would much rather watch a game between Iowa State and Cincinnati than any combination of games between Rutgers, Indiana, Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota, Northwestern, or Purdue. I just listed half the Big Ten Conference right there. The same could be said about most schools in the Pac-12, but hey maybe some people find empty stadiums cool.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.