ADVERTISEMENT

Heacock helps Clemson win

SomeCyguy

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Sep 29, 2002
Another Athletic article. I'm really conflicted about this. It's good publicity, but overall it doesn't really help ISU in any way. Edit: I guess I should add, I'm sure that ISU coaches get information from other teams as well.

https://theathletic.com/1527986/2020/01/12/clemson-iowa-state-odd-stack-brent-venables/

Back in April, Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables and his fellow defensive coaches traveled to Iowa State in search of solutions. During their visit, they talked ball with the Cyclones’ defensive staff, watched tape and stuck around to watch spring practice. And they gathered ideas that just might help them win another national championship on Monday night.

What started in Ames, Iowa, has already changed this year’s College Football Playoff. The three-man front that Clemson’s defense switched to against Ohio State in their 29-23 semifinal triumph was a tactic that can be clearly traced back to their time spent with Iowa State defensive coordinator Jon Heacock and his assistants, whose odd stack scheme — concocted in the middle of the 2017 season to slow down Big 12 offenses — continues to intrigue and influence defensive coordinators throughout college football.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News