ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Game Day Visit: RB Tajheem Lawson

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

A running back from the Illinois high school ranks took his first visit to Iowa State last weekend, saying the game day experience for the opener against Northern Iowa was eye-opening.

Chicago Heights Marian Catholic junior Tajheem Lawson, who is still vying for his first Power-5 offer, said the Cyclones showed him what Saturdays are like on major college campuses.

“I got there and everything was amazing,” said Lawson. “The students, fans and energy itself were just amazing. I picked up my tickets and watched the game. Being able to watch a game there that goes into three overtimes is pretty cool. Watching that was pretty amazing. It was really live and everybody was on their feet. The fans were really into the game. Everybody was attentive to what was going on.

“After the game, I was able to go in the locker room and talk to some of the players. I really liked how the coaches talked to the players, and how they pay attention to little details. Listening to that was amazing. After I did that, I was able to look at the indoor facility and go to the weight room.

Lawson said members of the staff said they’d be in more contact now that the calendar has turned to September.

“I talked to one of the assistant coaches about how they’d be keeping in more contact now that it’s September,” he said. “I’m just ready to come back, make some more connections and talk to some more connections. I’m ready to talk to Coach (Matt) Campbell. I’m ready to look at the campus, more than just the football aspect.”

The 5-foot-11, 175-pound Lawson made his way to Ames just hours after scoring four touchdowns to help lead his team to a season-opening victory. He said I-State coaches have told him he’s on their radar for a potential offer at some point.

“They told me they have high interest in me,” Lawson said. “They want to see more games on film from me. They’re going to be coming out to see me play this season. I love how they use the backs they’ve got right now. From the open of the game, you could tell they’re a running team. I can just imagine myself being there in that offense.”

Lawson’s trip to ISU didn’t include a visit with Campbell, but the running back said he did spend some time with Tom Manning.

“He said I’m one of their top prospects in the 2021 class and that he’d be in contact with me more often now,” Lawson said. “He said they like how I run and can also be a receiver. They really just like my film and what I can do on the field to contribute to my team.”

The 2021 prospect presently has offers from Toledo and Temple, to go along with interest from Purdue, Minnesota and Wisconsin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.