ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Former Target Gives ISU Assist on 2019 DE

PaulClark

Sep 1, 2002
by Bill Seals

Although Iowa State missed out on linebacker prospect Shanon Reid, who took an official visit to Ames before settling on Tennessee as his choice, the coaching staff is in great shape with a Class of 2019 defender from the same high school.

Fort Myers Dunbar defensive end Derick Hunter remembers well what his teammate Reid said about his trip and is thinking about taking one himself in the near future.

“He told me Iowa State and the team up there is cool,” said Hunter. “Ames is a beautiful city. I looked at the stadium and it’s a beautiful stadium that’s real big. I loved it. He said I’d need to see the facilities for myself, because they’re so beautiful. It came to a point where he put them over Michigan and they are a powerhouse. Iowa State is up and coming. That’s how I knew it had to be something special if he was putting Iowa State over Michigan.”

The 6-foot-5, 222-pound Hunter picked up his I-State offer last month, just before the 2017 class was signed.

“I had seen Coach (Tyson) Veidt during the season when they came down to visit Shanon Reid,” Hunter said. “I was leaving off the practice field and he gave me his card. I followed him on Twitter and we just kept up with each other. Before National Signing Day, he came down and offered me in person.

“The staff really like my hard work and work ethic. They’re looking me to play the whole defensive line. They like my aggressiveness, how I get off the ball and fight through the blocks. Just getting down and getting dirty, that’s it.”

Hunter would like to visit in the next few months, but is unsure if he’ll make it.

“I’m going to try to do a Junior Day up there,” he said. “If not, I’ll have to wait until my senior year to do some visits. I’ve been in contact with Coach Tyson and we’re trying to schedule it. That’s a long way from Florida, but I’m trying to get up there.”

In addition to ISU, Hunter claims offers from Florida, Maryland, Notre Dame, NC State, Akron, Tulane, UCF and USF.

Just how highly does he think of the Cyclones? Consider where Hunter puts them on his list.

“Florida is my leader, but Iowa State is for sure number two,” he said. “I want to make them number one, but I just want to make that visit and see everything for myself. Iowa State is up there and it’s just the relationship I have with the coaching staff. I have a great relationship with Coach Tyson. I want to go somewhere where I feel like I’m home and I think Iowa State would basically be like a home for me.”

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News